Venus 175 persistent magnetism problem

My beautiful 1946 Brietling, which I use as my every day timepiece, was given a full service about 4 years ago and returned (after more than one year!) looking new! Ever since it has had to be returned regularly +/- 9 months to be demagnetised.

About 9 months ago I contacted general manager of Bristling service in UK and begged them to tell me what I can do to protect it and fix the problem when it recurred. With so much of modern living dependent on equipment using magnetism we agreed that it would be very difficult to protect the watch from daily exposure. Instead they suggested I should purchase the same demagnetiser that they use and do it myself. This I have been doing, regularly about monthly, but it's timing has gone haywire again today - it has now gained 10 mins in 7 hours!

The device I am using is "Antimag 2", from Helmut Klein GmbH, Pforzheim, Germany. Thank you very much.

Miles Robinson

I should be most grateful for any advice as to how I can restore the watch to perform as it should.

17 minutes ago, MilRob said:

it's timing has gone haywire again today - it has now gained 10 mins in 7 hours!

I suggested that you have the watch checked and regulated. It's absolutely normal for mechanical watches to occasionally require that. 

A hairspring coil, specially if ever been manipulted,  might foul itself or stick in dynamic state( on wrist) but run Ok in static position, so bench testing your watch can be a useful observation. In case you see no difference, post a close up video of the coil when running, it just might reveal an issue. 

This amount of magentisation every month is uncommon unless your watch regularely gets exposed to an abnormally strong field. 

Regs 

Joe

This is a bit odd, or I feel misleading, because you have been getting the same problem with magnetism at fairly regular intervals, although the effects are not cumulative. By that I mean repeated exposure to a low-level field repeatedly over time doesn't build up to a higher level of magnetism. A watch gets magnetised by a one-off exposure to a field of sufficient strength. I can only assume that the regularity of your 9-month intervals has been a coincidence. Your preventative once-a-month treatment isn't going to help against that, but it shouldn't hurt either.

Have a think about what you did today that was unusual, where you went, and where that exposure could have occured.

As for restoring the watch to perform as it should, I'm afraid there isn't much you can do other than avoid magnetic fields as much as possible.

@MilRobWhat do you do for a living?  Electrical engineer?  MRI scanner operator?  Compass manufacturer?  Live on a ley line?

All joking aside it may be worth carrying around a small compass to see if anything in your environment is causing strong magnetic fields.

Thank you all for your comments on the persistent magnetisation of my 1946 watch. Most seem to think I have an odd lifestyle to have exposed it to such 'intense' fields. I have done an extensive search with my handheld compass without success. The only culprit I can think of is the case to my mobile phone which has a magnetic closure. I have tried to demagnetise this without success, and have looked for an alternative cover similarly without success.

As said Breitling supplied me with the demagnetiser they said they used (cost £265) and I contacted the German manufacturer for their advice. They replied that Breitling had supplied me with the wrong device! Am currently in contact with their General Manager to supply me with the correct device. Yuk!

At the moment I am considering selling it but reluctant as it was a wedding anniversary present.

Any other advice gratefully received.

6 hours ago, MilRob said:

As said Breitling supplied me with the demagnetiser they said they used (cost £265) and I contacted the German manufacturer for their advice. They replied that Breitling had supplied me with the wrong device! 

These are hugely inflated prices, you can buy a demagnetizer (bluebox type) for €12 which works just fine. 

7 hours ago, MilRob said:

Thank you all for your comments on the persistent magnetisation of my 1946 watch. Most seem to think I have an odd lifestyle to have exposed it to such 'intense' fields. I have done an extensive search with my handheld compass without success. The only culprit I can think of is the case to my mobile phone which has a magnetic closure. I have tried to demagnetise this without success, and have looked for an alternative cover similarly without success.

As said Breitling supplied me with the demagnetiser they said they used (cost £265) and I contacted the German manufacturer for their advice. They replied that Breitling had supplied me with the wrong device! Am currently in contact with their General Manager to supply me with the correct device. Yuk!

At the moment I am considering selling it but reluctant as it was a wedding anniversary present.

Any other advice gratefully received.

I doubt your demagnetiser will demagnetise the permanent magnet in your mobile phone case, get rid of the case rather than your phone. It seems the likely culprit. 

I don't understand the "wrong device" comment, to be honest, except that it is a far better and more expensive piece of equipment than you really need. A very nice gift though, and no doubt it will de-magnetise your watch whenever required. If the watch is still running wildly fast after using the Antimag, then the watch has another problem. What was the latest result?

It is Important to understand though, that the best de-magnetiser in the world offers no protection against future exposure to magnetism, like washing your hands doesn't stop them getting dirty again.

You don't necessarily have an odd lifestyle, you just live in a different world to the people who designed and built your beautiful Breitling. Magnetic fields are everywhere these days, and your watch is from a bygone era. The cause could well be the magnetic clasp on your case. It makes sense to eliminate it.

12 hours ago, Plato said:

I doubt your demagnetiser will demagnetise the permanent magnet in your mobile phone case

Of course. One really has to handle a Neodymium magnet to appreciate how incredibly powerful these are. 

These permanent magnets will not demag.  I experimented some time ago with  a rotor from a quartz watch, and found it impossible to demag, even using a very strong field.  Put them near a mechanical watch and you can actually see the balance hairsping change shape in some instances !!