keyless works on 1904 Elgin Grade 211

Good morning,

I've started a new project to fix the keyless works on this PW.  It's got me a bit perplexed.  In the resting mode (not pushing or pulling the crown) if you turn the crown the hands may at times move and at other times will not move.  if you push in and keep pressure on the crown and turn, it winds the watch--there is only slight give when you push and no significant clicking sound.  pulling on the crown doesn't seem to do anything.    has someone before me put the parts in wrong?  does anyone have a diagram of what the keyless works is supposed to look like.  or maybe there is a part missing.  btw, i did take out the crown stem and it seems like it's in functioning condition, albeit with a bit of corrosion.

Thanks and i hope you all had a nice weekend.  Arron.

elgin movement2.jpg

I thought i'd share this for any others having a similar problem.  I didn't know but there is a metal sleeve inside the stem tube. That regulates the working of the stem as you pull it out to set the time or push it in to wind.  There is a five part series on YT that discusses the workings and fine tuning of this mechanism.  I've inserted just the first part of the series. There is a special tool (a sleeve removal tool) that is used to fine tune or remove the sleeve.  I do not know if adjusting or replacing the sleeve will resolve my issue as I am waiting for the tool which i purchased to arrive so I can take out and inspect the sleeve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/8/2021 at 9:16 PM, arron said:

I thought i'd share this for any others having a similar problem.  I didn't know but there is a metal sleeve inside the stem tube. That regulates the working of the stem as you pull it out to set the time or push it in to wind.  There is a five part series on YT that discusses the workings and fine tuning of this mechanism.  I've inserted just the first part of the series. There is a special tool (a sleeve removal tool) that is used to fine tune or remove the sleeve.  I do not know if adjusting or replacing the sleeve will resolve my issue as I am waiting for the tool which i purchased to arrive so I can take out and inspect the sleeve.

Just wanted to thank you for this.  I know it's been a while since you posted it, but it's still helping new people.  The very first watch I managed to completely disassemble, clean, reassemble, and get working had this problem.  I've spent ages trying to figure out why this was happening, and compared the keyless works to other movements and couldn't see a difference.  It never occurred to me it could be sleeve depth.  After a quick disassembly and four or five turns of the wrench, I heard a click and the problem was solved.  I was so pleased I broke the crystal!!!  But that I know how to replace, so thanks again!!!!

Edited by PWFDmedic
  • Like 2

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Yes, "Sold out" is difficult to understand. There doesn't seem to be a lot going on. It's been nine months since any new video was published on the Watch Repair Channel. The Level 4 course on watchfix.com has been in progress for what feels like forever (several years!?). Maybe Mark's enterprises aren't doing well or perhaps already so profitable there's nothing much to motivate him for more material. Or, perhaps these days he's more into crochet. The real reason is probably something entirely different but it would be nice/interesting to know. I don't mean to sound gloomy or pessimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised to be met by an HTTP 404. Every day feels like a gift.
    • Steel has some funny properties, or at least counterintuitive. The modulus of elasticity is effectively (not exactly, but close enough) the same for steel that is annealed and hardened. What changes is the point of plastic deformation* . If the movement of your spring doesn't pass that, it should work fine. It looks a little thick, I would thin it a bit maybe from the main body out about halfway, maybe 10-20% thinner (not in thickness, along its form). But if it works it works!   *So- if you have two bars of the same steel, one annealed, one at 600 Vickers (general hardness watch arbors might be), clamp them to a table so the same length is hanging out, and put a weight on the ends, they will bend the same amount. But if you continue to add weight, then remove it, at a point the annealed bar won't return to its original straightness. That's the point of plastic deformation. But up to that point, as springs, they are the same. However- their wear characteristics will be very very different. And getting the hardened bar past its point of plastic deformation takes a lot more effort.
    • @JohnR725 now that you've mentioned it. This is actually the second aftermarket spring (same place and brand) I ordered as the first one broke. The eye on which the arbor pulls on, broke off on the first spring after the first wind, and also it was a bit to large for the arbor. Looked like on one the second picture in the 2nd group. The second one was exactly the same, I had to bend it a bit, to give it a more prominent curve to the end of the spring so that the arbor catches the eye.  Also I believe both were 5-10mm shorter. Not that I writing that, I feel a bit dumb, as the spring might actually been the problem all along, although its advertised as a substitute to the original...     
    • The CS70 is the only one they show as annealed.  A further search on ebay, I found CS75 and CS100 annealed carbon steel strips  e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314072784422
    • Aloha and thanks for catching all these small but important details, John.  I'm going to give it a shot. The good news is I have a parts movement here with a perfect complete balance.  I will place them side by side for visual reference when doing what you outlined.  It's been a while were I've had a hobby in which I joined a forum.  I forgot just how helpful everyone can be. Mahalo. Frank.