Moral dilemma

My father passed and my mum gave me his Hublot Big Bang watch. The crown was missing and he always said it worked fine and he couldn’t afford the repair. When I inherited it I found out why as I sent it to Tag for service and repair. I thought I would restore it as a living memory of him. Anyway Tag returned it without repair and advised me it was a replica. 
My dilemma now is do I take the moral high ground and bin it or try and get it repaired. I really would prefer the later if someone can help.

3FD1CF78-FF1E-4002-BBCE-F89285DAF1DC.jpeg

7 minutes ago, clockboy said:

It can be repaired providing the movement inside is identified. This is required to see if parts are available. 

Thanks for the reply. Is there anywhere I can send it off to try and ascertain  the movement inside and attempt a repair. 

10 hours ago, richy170 said:

Thanks for the reply. Is there anywhere I can send it off to try and ascertain  the movement inside and attempt a repair. 

First issue is finding a crown that will suit the case. Then the stem, even for a Chinese mov.t, can be obtained easily.
Be advised that most reputable repairers do not work on counterfeit items, you may have better luck with a friendly local shop where they change batteries and glasses.

Hi,
Rest assured your not missing anything, it was a mistake in my message and I meant Hublot and not Tag Heuer. I own a Tiger Woods Tag which I know is genuine and have sent that off before for a service. Although I think Hublot and Tag maybe both owned by the same company. 

Since it belonged to your dad, I would be inclined to close the eyes on the dubious provenance and try to fix it. For the crown, maybe either source a gen crown which match or find another rep of the same model to take the crown and whatever parts is needed to fix dad's watch then bin the rest.

Finding parts for a replica watch is harder because in most cases, when it break, it get tossed in the bin or get the movement replaced.

Edit A more proper way would be to try to find a crown which match the looks even if it is not a exact match if you don't want to buy a replica.

Edited by Xilikon

by the way this is not a unique problem. We've had people come in the store with this was in my father's safe deposit box etc. it looks like a Rolex and well know it's not.

The problem with any replica is finding suitable parts. I know we still taken replicas which I don't think we should and they usually are problem because you can't use the parts that there are supposedly replica of because they were FETs and it does require more work. But a lot of it depends upon the watch may be with our help we can get enough parts together were either you could fix it or take it somewhere where they could fix it if they see that oh it's a standard movements you have the stem there is the crown that would make things better for everybody.

I am in the process of finding someone who can inspect the watch and identify the movement. Once I’m in possession of this information I will post further. Thanks to all who have helped so far, it’s most appreciated.

I am in no way as experienced as many on here, but looking at that photo and googling 'Hublot Big Bang caseback', I got photos which showed a fair few differences. Bridges, finish etc.

It is a pity. I just hope that you are able to get things fixed. To my untrained eye, the movement looks ok so I would try and find a crown and stem and go from there.

Where are you? There may be someone on here that is up for a challenge and might assist? (Disclaimer: I might also be talking absolute rubbish with that last comment. ? )

Hi, The watch itself keeps perfect time. You just have to give it a gentle shake to wake it up and it will carry on keeping the time for days without being worn. Its just that you have to wake it up at the exact time that it has stopped. 

Hi Michael, Sorry I have no knowledge on how this or any other watch works. I just presumed it worked on the natural movement of the wrist to keep it topped up. I just know when you pick it up from when it has stopped and it is given a shake it starts working again. I hope that makes sense to you. I don't wear the watch as the strap is broken and in any case I don't think i would wear it now i know of its provenance. However I still would like to restore it for sentimental purposes. 

As it is an automatic, the rotor that you can see in the caseback (the bit with HUBLOT GENEVE on it) spins under movement to wind the mainspring. Just picking it up and giving it a bit of a shake might start it, but I can't see it running for days after that. Especially with not being regularly worn.

Hi Michael,

I am learning with every post. I have only had the watch in my possession for a week. When I fist got it i sent it off to be restored. It has been returned and sat on the kitchen side since. My son has picked it up and played with it etc so that might explain why it just seems to last for several days. I also have a puppy at home who has chewed the strap, that is a different story. If I can get the crown replaced my next step is to try and identify a replacement strap for it.

I will put the watch out of my sons reach and ask him not to touch it and will let it stop again, give it a shake and see how long it runs for before stopping. I will post the result.

6 hours ago, richy170 said:

I will put the watch out of my sons reach and ask him not to touch it and will let it stop again, give it a shake and see how long it runs for before stopping. I will post the result.

sounds like you will watchmaker in the making or maybe a mechanical engineer find him something else to play with like maybe a clock or Timex watch even though their people on this group who like Timex watches

5 hours ago, richy170 said:

The big question is how do i get a crown and someone to install it? Im sure a strap must be a lot easier to source.

if you lived where I did I would know where to send you. Strangely enough I know a place that does and shouldn't work on cloned watches and they have hundreds of straps. but as a shop was halfway around the world from you it's not helpful at all.

Did you know if you look on Amazon even the UK version as for watch straps there's literally thousands of them to look at. Narrow down what you have you should bill will find one.

You need to find basically anyplace the specializes in watches and their service. That could be some independent watchmakers sometimes jewelry stores in the old days there was the phone book but today with online it makes things more interesting is not everybody has an online presence. Or if they do it's not very good