A Schild 1902 upper shock spring replacement

The upper poped out as happens , but, this one I cannot get back in, after a hour, then broke it. Does it go in vertically then fall forward or slide in at a slight angle. Should have bought that microscope. And whats the technique to put it back in?

Thanks, and loved your course Mark.

Randy

It's the normal incabloc setup, gold horseshoe style clip, that folds down over the cap jewel. It's that on AS movements, when you un click it and go to push it up 90 degrees, it doesn't want to go all the way up, then, it pops out of there and I can't really figure out the proper way to get the "T" part back in place. even under 15x magnification.

When this has happened to me I've had to remove the entire setting from the balance cock, which is held in with a U-shaped piece.  With the setting out it is possible to get a new incabloc spring in place, just like it would be when fully assembled in the watch.  Then, put the setting back in, install the U-shaped piece, and reinstall the hairspring. 

image.png.e0c0f6bc8eb48f3470b4ecf3f7000a87.png

4 minutes ago, vfrrandy said:

It's the normal incabloc setup, gold horseshoe style clip, that folds down over the cap jewel. It's that on AS movements, when you un click it and go to push it up 90 degrees, it doesn't want to go all the way up, then, it pops out of there and I can't really figure out the proper way to get the "T" part back in place. even under 15x magnification.

Is it on the balance or on the mainplate?

Thanks, but, it's on the dial side, and the setting is pressed in, I've got them back in before. They only seem to pop out on the dial side, and there's some weird shaped slot behind the setting that I just can't figure out. It must go back in at some weird angle.

If it's a proper 'Incabloc' it shouldn't be able to go back in without first pressing it out and that requires a jewelling tool.

I know your thinking is, 'well it came out, so should go back in the same way', but it happens and shouldn't be forced back in. I put a PowerPoint presentation together for a class I take regarding Etachron removal and spring replacement, which includes using a jewelling to push out and in the Inca settings. I'll post it in a few minutes which may help. It includes the style of setting that is held by 'U' washers as @Walsey posted

20 minutes ago, vfrrandy said:

Thanks, but, it's on the dial side, and the setting is pressed in, I've got them back in before. They only seem to pop out on the dial side, and there's some weird shaped slot behind the setting that I just can't figure out. It must go back in at some weird angle.

Have a look at this...

• Like 1

I usually use a hard wooden stick to push out  the housing/ setting with.

One out, try 60 degrees to slide the spring in , lock the spring in the groove, rinse and push the setting back into place, then a second rinse.

You alter the end shake when you move the setting, might take couple of tries to adjust the endshake.

Thanks, guys, if the only way to properly put the spring back in is to press out the setting, then this moment is now parts. I got a second spring (after I broke the first), out of a AS 1700 and it came right out as well. And this has happened to me before and I seem to have gotten them back in, somehow. 

14 hours ago, Jon said:

Have a look at this...

Thank you Jon for this lesson, interesting tool that lets us reinstal the setting back to pre-removal depth.

Always following and learning your lessons with interest.

Joe

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, vfrrandy said:

Thanks guys, BUT, I got it back in, got one side in, and the other almost all the way in, gave it a little push and. heard a click, and it's all good, lol

Glad it popped back in.

The reason why some pop out more than others is because, there are two tabs that the 'T' part of the lyre springs hook behind. You can see in this pic on the right they have been highlighted in pink. This is the balance assembly, but the idea is the same on the mainplate. On some movements that have look-alike 'Incabloc' settings, such as the ETA 6497 clone, by Seagull and others there isn't any tabs to stop the lyre spring coming out. Having said that, I have come across some settings where I have managed to man-handle the lyre spring back in, because of the lack of a jewelling tool at the time, but now it only takes minutes to replace a spring the safe way with the jewelling tool.

I may not have said, but in the PowerPoint presentation there are videos, as they are marked 'Video' in the top left corner of the slide. I've shown a vid of me manhandling the spring back in in the ST 36 clone in slide 3

36627932_cloningproblemversion2.JPG.56290e3408f703bc8231769ba6df8dc2.jpg

On 4/25/2021 at 1:55 AM, vfrrandy said:

The upper poped out as happens ,

FYI, our introductions section is for new members to tell a bit about themselves if so they wish. Repair questions go into this section instead.