Where To Get Training In Watch Repair

Bill3

My efforts to teach myself watch repair have not been successful after a year and a half of frustrating effort. I think I am at the point where I need instruction. I have looked around Georgia, the U.S. State where I live, but have not found anyone who is willing to take me on as an apprentice. So where do I look next? I might add that I work on watches as a hobby and am not looking for any kind of certification as a professional watchmaker. I am retired and have time to devote to this project, but badly need instruction. My efforts to learn by reading about watch repair have turned to feces. I learn better by instruction. Books have failed me in this enterprise. Even though I am old, I think I have most of my cognitive functions intact. It just seems that the possible ways to accomplish any watch repair are so vast that individual instruction is necessary to learn effectively.

I have looked at "on line" instruction courses. Time Zone seems to be the best of the bunch, but I have never talked to anyone who has delved into that course. Have others here tried the course? Opinions?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi Bill3, I to am an elderly old git, that has taken up this as a hobby late in life. What is your background, and what are you finding is giving the most problems? I ask this only to shed light on your problem and see if help is at hand.

Hello GEO, Thank you for your interest. You asked about my background. I am a retired university professor. My education includes Master's and Doctorate degrees. The problem I have is not knowing the "language". To explain, I spent six months trying to get a watch to work, which I took apart and put back together again many, many times. My reading mentioned the possibility of a "broken" balance staff. I envisioned a broken balance staff as broken in half or at least in two pieces. After many episodes of taking the watch apart and putting it back together again I finally took the watch to a watch repair shop and in about 60 seconds he said "the balance staff is broken". What he meant by broken is that one end had a tiny sharp projection, the other did not. Having never seen one before, I thought balance staffs were designed to have one sharp end and another dull end. It took six months to learn that small fact. If each step is like that, it will take an infinite amount of time just to learn the basics. That experience also taught me the value of expert instruction. Frankly, most of the books I have read are dull beyond belief and have no practical application (like a picture showing what is meant by "broken balance staff").

Hello Bill3,

You can download the Chicago School of Watchmaking course free at the link below.

It's a bit dated (watches all share the same characteristics and design) but gives a full course on watchmaking and repair with diagrams and pictures.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c868g98kneaq4b8/Chicago+CD.iso

Edit to add: If you don't already have them, you need good glass/magnification. A loupe in 4x, 7x, and 10x are essential. That will give you the view of a broken staff, for instance.

I'm self taught and find it a fascinating journey. If you want recommendations for books, just ask away.

Edited by Gotwatch

Like Gotwatch, I too am self taught and started this as a hobby about four years ago after working in mechanical engineering for forty six years.

Bill3, I strongly recommend you purchase this book http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Watch-Repairing-Donald-Carle/dp/1602393575it may be a copy of an old book, but the information and quality illustrations is excellent. Also take time to work through Mark's Videos, you will soon get a good understanding of what this game is all about. http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/page/watch_repair_videos.html above all, do not be frightened or embarrassed to ask any questions no matter how simple, you will get a civil answer and guidance.

You will make a few mistakes on the way, but you will get there. Purchase a cheap movement from the likes of EBay to practicing servicing, this will allow you to develop the delicate touch required. Make sure that you get one that is running to begin with, at this stage you do not want to be trouble shooting faults, that is another thing altogether.

• Like 1

Hi Geo I didn't have the link for the course, well done! It is saved also. :) Thanks!

@Bill,

I took the TZ course, all 3 of them and I believe it "stirs" you in the right direction. Highly recommended. (IMHO, former High School and College Math and programming teacher...among other occupations). Geo's advise is excellent and of course, Mark's videos. Also search for 7S26 on the web, there is a free Seiko class around too in addition to the walkthroughs in this forum for the same movement...the list goes on and on. It is imperative to have proper tools and if you ever get a "starters/learning" watch, get it big and that still works. Then check the before and after!

Cheers,

Bob

Excellent advice throughout. I suggest starting out with a clone movement such as a 6497 or 6498. You can purchase on the bay etc. It's a pocket watch movement, so it's a bit on the large size, great for a beginner, parts are plentiful and when you're done with it you can make yourself a pilot's watch. That worked for me. post-773-14288763738152.jpgpost-773-14288764188799.jpgpost-773-14288764983544.jpg The first two are a 6497 and the third pic is a 6498.

I've just started on this too, purely as a hobby. I've stripped and rebuilt a pocket watch, getting the know-how by watching Marks video on servicing a Waltham watch. Also too by the kind help of forum members. Like you I'm trying to learn all the names of the different parts and how they all work.

I've just signed up to the level 1 Timezone watch course,,it looks ok.

You can download the course, which is helpful as you don't then need access to the internet. There's also diagrams and descriptions on how the different parts work.

I just bought the tools needed for the course off the internet, (from cousins), so that's all good.

I'm from a very different background,, I'm a lorry driver, or as you say in a America, a trucker, driving a 38 tonne lorry. So I've no real mechanical knowledge, apart from my other hobby which is woodworking. So learning about watches is a completely new field for me too, but one I want to try to learn.

Good luck with your watch.

Geo has a good recommendation in de Carle. I have 5 of his books, this one and one on adjusting, one on complicated movements, one on clocks. and the lathe.

These are also great references:

The Watch Repairers Manual
Henry Fried

http://www.amazon.com/Watch-Repairers-Manual-Henry-Fried/dp/1626549982/ref=pd_sim_b_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=179KYQJ6VQ7TGTR1JK9H

and

Watchmaking
George Daniels

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmaking-George-Daniels/dp/0856677043/ref=pd_sim_b_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1PESK5F5VF9JXCYSR44H

Good luck and ask many questions. We're here to help.
Stu

Edited by Gotwatch

Hi Bill.

Geo is right. I am same as your situation. Purchased the books and learn from scratch. There is no school in Arizona, eespecially in Phoenix. I am 52 years ols and an acountant, also earned master degree in accounting and computer science. However, I love to learn the way of how the watch was constructed and the way its work. I am a newbie to this forum too. I got help from many experts in this forum. I am tired of presenting someone to the IRS and courts. Just want to enjoy the rest of my life in watch business. One of the funny thing just recently happenned to me was few months ago when my watch was broken the stem. I went to one of the watch repair shop near my home to get it fix. The watch repair guy at the shop told me to pay him $100K to work and learn from him. For now, I learned by practicing from deassembler and reinstalled some of the old watch that I bought from yeard sale or flea market. Hope you will find a good place to learn.

Edited by Johnvsd

Many many thanks for all the good information following my complaining inquiry. It is all good information. I had to laugh at the watchmaker wanting 100K to take an apprentice. The book recommendations are all good. I have all the books mentioned and have read parts of all. From my beginners viewpoint, Fried is the best of the lot. And, probably because of my inexperience, Daniels is the worst. That book is incomprehensible to me. I set it aside months ago and mostly look at You Tube videos now.

Thanks again for the information and the encouragement. I hope you will be tolerant of my future idiot questions.

Bill

Hi Bill, words from the book by Donald De Carle, Practicle Watch Repairing.

"The key-word is PRACTISE. Study is necessary, but practise is essential"

Old solid gold watches sell on ebay for the price of the scrap gold, especially old ladies watches. These are usually simple mechanicals and in various states. If you have a disaster, you will not loose out, as the gold holds it's value

I searched the Internet for watch training when I decided to take it up as a hobby. I found TimeZone Watch School. I have completed two of the three courses they offer and I am currently taking the third. I have enjoyed the courses and have learned a lot. Taking the courses and supplementing them with the information available in forums like this one have really given me the knowledge and confidence to successfully service a variety of movements.

I have heard nothing but positive comments about the TimeZone online course. I find the notion of combining the course with this forum very sensible. I think I am going to make the plunge into the TimeZone course! If your experience has been different I would like to hear from you.

One of the main obstacles to overcome in learning any new art or science is getting to know the components of the art/science and the language that describes those components. Learning the language of watchmaking is, in some ways, easier than learning a language (for example), because:

• most mechanical watches are designed, put together and work on common principles
  • the watch comes apart and each component can be examined - either in a book or in the flesh
  • each component has a name which is pretty standard from one mechanical watch to another

So, the more you read and look - even without trying to do anything - the more you absorb the language and the science behind the mechanics of a watch movement. One of the most useful and basic videos I've ever seen, which explains the principles of a mechanical watch beautifully, is a superb Hamilton Watch Co. film from the 1940s. You'll find it referenced here: http://www.willswatchpages.com/the-mechanism.html

And apologies if I'm being too basic and simplistic for you - you're probably at this level already - but the visual content in a wide range of videos which show watches being stripped and reassembled, with commentary, can be invaluable.

As you say, finding out what's actually wrong with a mechanism, such that it won't work, can be a real problem. I'm lucky in that I have a friend who repairs watches for a hobby. He's been doing it for 40 years and is very experienced. I've taken many watches to him over the years to be fettled - amateur tinkerer that I am - and observed him at work, chatted to him, discussed problems and solutions, etc. That has been invaluable.

In a sense, this forum is like that friend of mine - except it's many friends and many experiences - which is why we're all here!

• Like 1

I've found the TimeZone course more helpful than the books for starting out, just because the structure is more course like. It's also great to know you can ask questions of a master watchmaker. Good luck, Bill!

Edited by Don

Thank you, WillFly for the reference to the Hamilton watch video. I had seen it before, but enjoyed seeing it again. I also enjoyed seeing your watch collection! You have beautiful watches on your URL!

Hang around here long enough and learn from others.

Basically if you are mechanically inclined you should be able to pick it up with pointers from the others to help you along.

By mechanically inclined I mean that you have no problems tearing things cars and household appliances apart to see if you can it working (or at least put it back the way it was before).

If you find assembling a flat-pack piece of furniture a challenge then a more structured course is advisable.

Anil

• Like 2