ETA 2836-2 Disassembly walkthrough here

ETA 2836-2 Assembly walkthrough here

When I started out servicing watches (Vostok cal. 2414) I was desperately looking for easy to follow walkthroughs and tutorials. That was several years ago. I did find a walkthrough on WUS, and I did find the YT-videos of former car mechanic Dan, the “Ratfaced Git”, and although his approach was much that of a car mechanic, rather than that of a skilled watch repairer (he hardly knew the names of parts, didn’t care much, and was proud of it), it inspired me endlessly and gave me - at that time a complete mechanical idiot - the courage to try it myself. Without those videos I’m not sure my interest would have taken off. I know Dan struggled with many difficulties in his life including cancer, and it has been close to three years since he published anything on his YT-channel. Anyway, I hope you’re still with us “Ratfaced git” and I say thank you for the inspiration and dedicate this walkthrough to you.

In ETA’s technical communication for calibre 2836-2 the assembly is made in seven steps in the following order:

1. Keyless works
2. Train of wheels
3. Mainspring barrel and bridge
4. Balance assembly
5. Self-winding mechanism
6. Dial train (/motion works) and the calendar works part 1
7. Dial train (/motion works) and the calendar works part 2

However, if you follow my assembly procedure, I put it together in a different order as I find it more convenient and wish to test the running of the watch as soon possible, that is, as soon as the train of wheels, barrel, and balance have been replaced. If at that point it’s not running well, I can more easily deal with it before continuing on with the assembly. Also, should problems arise at a later stage I’ll know it’s (very likely) not related to the train, barrel or balance. The downside, of course, is that the balance is exposed to potential damage for a longer period, although it can of course be removed. So, here are the steps of my assembly procedure:

1. Train of wheels
2. Mainspring barrel and bridge
3. Balance assembly
4. Keyless works
5. Dial train (/motion works) and the calendar works part 1
6. Dial train (/motion works) and the calendar works part 2
7. Self-winding mechanism

Apart from the click spring and the pallet stones, the oiling suggestions follow ETA’s technical communication.

Finally, I make walkthroughs for my personal use and enjoyment. They are not meant to be tutorials (for that I wholeheartedly recommend watchrepairlessons.com), but I like to share them in case there’s someone who would find them useful.

So, without further ado…

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Excellent post! ?

I am about to repair one of these movements this week after a few years away from the hobby and this will definitely come in very handy. ?

• Thanks 1

Hi there Vwatchie ,my that is excellent work ,your photography is crisp and shows how clean that movement is . Thanks for taking the time to display .

Cheers Graziano

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Jon said:

You've got a talent for teaching!

Thank you very much for your kind words @Jon! I actually work as a teacher. However, I teach programming (C#/.NET/SQL) and not about watches. I enjoy doing watches (real things) more than programming (virtual things).

3 minutes ago, alibababoombap said:

Amazing walkthrough! Could I ask what camera you're using for these shots? The closeups are so crisp!

Thanks for you kind words. I simply use an iPhone 8 and an inexpensive $10 clip-on macro lens. I used to have an iPhone 6 and it worked just as well, but the battery died and I had to "upgrade". The "secret" is the lighting, and I always support my hands against the table and move the phone back and forth to get the best possible focus. It takes some practice and experimenting. In the beginning it used to happen that I dropped, or almost dropped the phone on the movement, which can lead to some pretty dramatic damage, but after some practice and experience I got the hang of it.