So What Makes A Watch A Great Watch?

After looking at the different opinions of people what do most people look for in their perfect watch? Mine personally would be a Patek Phillipe money being no concern, but exactly what is it.

A lot of enthusiasts look for a watch that produces their own in-house movements but then you hear certain people say "Oh it's just a common old ETA movement." I wouldn't touch it so I'm really getting a bit confused by all the jargon. Not forgetting that 85% of people still choose their watch through the shop window on looks alone.

So my question is "What do you look for in a watch?"

Great topic choice. Patek has to be up there for me as well as RW smith, Philip Dufour or FP Journe. 

I like on mans vision for anything. Someone who has dedicated heart and soul into pursuing what they believe to be the ultimate they are able to make at that moment. Its more important to me than looks or materials used. 

But that comes after a lifetime interested in Horology and some education on what is available and by who. 

Like many for me My first Rolex meant more than simply a nice watch. Funnily enough its not about the name with Rolex. Its about the visions of Hans Wilsdorf and what was created from that. Long before I knew they were a famous watch brand I stared in Jewellers windows in Exeter as a child at the Day Date or Submariner in wonder and hoped one day to have a Rolex. There was something just right about the design of them for me and still is, even though they are not hand made like the watches I mention above.

I love the one I have for the simple reasons that it tells time well and accurately, my model, the Air King goes largely unnoticed by the general population, it does not scream ROLEX like the all gold ones do. Its comfortable and just feels really well thought out to me. I guess its heritage does boil down to one mans vision as well.

On another forum I belong to only this week we were talking about the snobbery this hobby can get. All of us love our cheapest watches the same as we do our most expensive ones. 

I think for true lovers of horology cost does not matter, its other things that do. I have yet to see a real enthusiast buy a watch on name only. Like our mutual love for Patek, I bet your the same as me, its not the name but the workmanship, history and human component in its making that matter.

And I thing after all that ramble for me it all boils down to that. The human connection. That a person or persons sat down and from thought to construction had a tangible effect on that which I wear in my pocket or on my wrist.

• Like 1

It's difficult for me to answer this. Perhaps I'll start by saying that names like Rolex, Patek Phillippe, etc., aren't my main focus. The first watches I ever started to collect seriously were American railroad watches, and this happened purely by  accident when I was given an Elgin 571 "B.W. Raymond" RR grade watch:

Elgin%20571%201949%20face.JPG

Elgin%20571%201949%20movement.JPG

The case for this was very brassed when I got it, and the bow was a bad replacement - but I thought the movement was wonderful. I couldn't imagine that a factory-produced object could be turned out to such a standard - 21 jewels, 8 adjustments, subtle damaskeening, wonderful dial, etc. I went to the expense of having a proper bow hand-made for it, and then got the casemaker to re-gild the brassed case. And what I saw in this watch, I look for to be in my "keepers" ever since: good, practical design, good workmanship, solid, well-finished construction, no unncecessary frills, etc.

Edited by WillFly
  • Like 1

Thats a really good question,  to which there will be lots of answers as everyone has different criteria.  I remember seeing an advert from approx. the 60's where they fixed a Timex watch to a speedboats propellor, drove it around for sometime,  then removed the watch, which was still working, "Timex takes a lickin' and keeps on ticking".  How many high end makers would want to submit their watch to that sort of test?

It all depends what you want a watch for that would dictate choice,  but to me Rolex must be in the top 10.

• Like 1

Although I am a big fan of Seiko, being the patriotic type I have always yearned for something British. In the 1970's I used to own Japanese motorcycles much to the disdain of my friends (Brit bikers), my argument being when they can make something that doesn't break down every day and performs as well as a Japanese bike I'll buy one - I am on my second modern Triumph now & wouldn't buy anything else. The majority of horological innovation has come from Britain, unfourtunatley the British watch industry has been in a poor state, but now its coming back to life. Ultimate watch ? it would have to be a Bremont Supermarine & yes I know its a Swiss movement.........at the moment.