Where to find an hour wheel and dial washer for ST3600

Hi

I've made the watchmaker course using the ST3600 and now I would like to make a watch.

So I just figured out that the seller doesn't supply the hour wheel and the dial washer. Asked him to send me but I do not have a lot of hope.

Do you know how can replace these elements ?

Thanks   

IMG_20210418_155234.jpeg

Edited by richiesgr
Add Image

Hi there,

As the ST3600 is a clone of the ETA 6497, I believe you should be able to source the hour wheel from eBay or a supplier as the hour wheel for the 6497 (part 29, from the technical document). The dial washer is not movement specific and simply needs to have a large enough diameter for the hour wheel to poke through. 

I bought an ST3600 and had to replace the winding pinion, as these movements have a habit of developing a nasty slip when winding. I swapped in part 3 from a 6497 and it works perfectly. 

Good luck!

Dave

5 hours ago, richiesgr said:

So I just figured out that the seller doesn't supply the hour wheel and the dial washer.

That is not acceptable, the hour wheel is part of the mov.t and must be supplied. Dial washers, as mentioned above, are good to have in a small assortment. 

Asked him to send me but I do not have a lot of hope.

With unscrupulous sellers do not waste time in exchanging messages, just open a claim with the platform and the card issuer, let them work it out for you. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, this is one of the trends on eBay. I’ve seen it on these movements as well as others, particularly from “resellers.” I even found it with some Swiss suppliers when trying to source a NOS FHF 69-21. The hour wheel wasn’t included. 

No idea why, and you may be successful in protesting this with the seller, but you may also want to move forward and keep working, hence my suggestion. Heck, you could do them in parallel and you may end up with a spare. You just have to decide whether it’s worth your time. I see some for as low as $10 plus shipping with a quick search...

Dave

I had ordered a Omega 960 (based on 6497) and when I got it, the hour wheel is there but they don't have dial screws. I had to source some Omega screws for a lot of dough ? I contacted the seller but he said he doesn't know at all and just sell NOS movements.

Luckily, many parts can be found using 6497 as keyword and they are interchargeable.

13 hours ago, Xilikon said:

I had ordered a Omega 960 (based on 6497) and when I got it, the hour wheel is there but they don't have dial screws. I had to source some Omega screws for a lot of dough .?

Original screws are expensive but not always needed. Just get the type that makes for your case, literally

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/case-screws-wristwatch-movement-to-case-assorted

8 hours ago, jdm said:

Original screws are expensive but not always needed. Just get the type that makes for your case, literally

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/case-screws-wristwatch-movement-to-case-assorted

True but since i don't have the exact specifications of the screws, better be safe ordering the original Omega screws. I wasn't sure if the 6497 all have the same screws for the dial or there are variations. I will know this for next time.

11 minutes ago, Xilikon said:

True but since i don't have the exact specifications of the screws, better be safe ordering the original Omega screws. I wasn't sure if the 6497 all have the same screws for the dial or there are variations. I will know this for next time.

It is safe to assume that after 1900 all Swiss watches (and I suspect Americans also) use standard metric thread screws. The assortments I linked above include all possible diameters, but if you buy an "ungraded" set you will have to pick the correct size from the bunch. So the only variable is the head shape and length perhaps, but if one knows how it should look like is not difficult to get it right.

On 4/18/2021 at 3:00 PM, richiesgr said:

the hour wheel and the dial washer

As stated by others, there are several options for the hour wheel. However, good luck finding a suitably sized dial washer. I even sent a request to Cousins but they were unable to help me, and non were to found on eBay. Yes, I picked up the available assortments on both eBay and Cousins (wrist watch and pocket watch) but non were large enough, and I failed trying to expand the hole. I also asked Cousins if the washer was delivered as part of the hour wheel (in that case I would have ordered the wheel), but it was not. If you're lucky to find one, please let me know your source. Thanks!

Edited by VWatchie

However, good luck finding a suitably sized dial washer

On 4/20/2021 at 3:18 PM, VWatchie said:

However, good luck finding a suitably sized dial washer.

Hi 

Thanks for all answer here I managed to find a hour wheel in old stock I join a picture but I'm not sure it's work at all it's just the right size but don't know if the height will be enough. 

For the washer is it not just a disk of zinc or aluminium I think we can make one what do you think ?

IMG_20210422_165455.jpeg

5 hours ago, richiesgr said:

For the washer is it not just a disk of zinc or aluminium I think we can make one what do you think ?

Of course. It's thin brass, you can drill the hole then use an hollow punch to cut off the round. Or any other method that brings to the same result. Depending on how high the dial sits the washer may serve just as a kind of insurance more than else.

7 hours ago, richiesgr said:

Absolutely! Truly skilled repairers can make almost any kind of part. Unfortunately, I do not belong to that category ? If you successfully make one, please share your techniques as I'd really like a washer for my Unitas 6498. Thanks!

12 hours ago, VWatchie said:

? If you successfully make one, please share your techniques as I'd really like a washer for my Unitas 6498. Thanks!

Me too  not in this category at all but It seems the easier piece to fabric.

I just need to find a thin sheet of brass  Where to find this is another question.

If I succeed I 'll send you what I've tried of course

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, richiesgr said:

Me too  not in this category at all but It seems the easier piece to fabric.

I just need to find a thin sheet of brass  Where to find this is another question.

If I succeed I 'll send you what I've tried of course

Where are you in the world?... I've got loads of spare hour wheels and dial washers from these clones

Message me and I'll send you a couple, no charge

Edited by Jon

Thin brass should be able to be bought in packs of varying thickness from stores that sell things for maintenance like pumps or gearboxes (industrial). It is sold as shim for doing motor to machine alignments.

I can't remember the thicknesses that you get in a pack or whether it actually would be thin enough?

What thickness are you looking for? Thinking about it, you should be able to buy just what you want and not need to get a pack.

Here you go. (clicky)