1931 Elgin 3/03 stem

markr

@JohnR725 is right about that.  The movement looks very much akin to the little grade 320, which Elgin used in lady's pendant watches, and having the negative stem like that, the case would have a sleeve to retain its half of the stem and crown.  The kind of stem and crown, and sleeve, that you'll be looking for will be easier to determine once we know who made the case.  In terms of pocket watches, Elgin made movements and did not generally make cases; you bought an Elgin movement, then selected a case from the jeweler's offerings and he would marry them together. As to wrist watches, Elgins are still often found in some other maker's case, so I honestly don't know if they ever, at any point, made their own.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markr said:

I still need help with this please.

We haven't or at least I haven't entirely forgotten?

The problem is I've seen this somewhere? We've discussed sleeves before I don't know if we covered ones for wristwatches probably have but I've seen one of these before I just need to remember where the reference was that I saw it once I remember I can find that and I'll attach it.

Then the reason why we not getting copious quantity of answers is because if you notice anything related to American watches in particular earlier watches especially anything involved with casing and sleeves there aren't that many people on this group that work with those.

Plus I was hoping for a better name inside the case. Because of you go to an offbrand it's going make it a lot harder and getting a sleeve to replace that anyway is going to be much much harder so as soon as I can remember where I saw the reference to this?

• Thanks 1

The problem is where do you get any pocket watch sleeve new anymore?

The easy answer is just look in your Sleeve assortment and find one there. Don't have one no problem as long as you a time machine because I don't think they've made sleeve assortments in the long time that's a problem. Actually that's a problem with a lot of our watch material.

You could search online and see what comes up like the first link. Or eBay search their to help you out I put the links below.

Then there is the other problem the picture at the first link where have I seen that before? Because their picture doesn't look very good it's been shrunk so it's hard to tell and they don't have every single one in the picture.

But I did take a look at a different book and printed some pages for you is a PDF which is attached. That may help you to get a better idea of what you're looking for that still hopelessly obsolete a very long time ago. Which means you're going to have to do some searching online keep an eye open on the eBay. I've had active search is on eBay for years for certain watch stuff is just what you have to do if you want to find this stuff.

http://www.ofrei.com/page441.html

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313&_nkw=Sleeve&_sacat=10324

Marshall 3 pp 91 to 95.pdf

• Thanks 1

I would also check:

Dave's Watch Parts

too, he has a lot of vintage wrist watch cases and case parts, although he does admittedly specialize in pocket watches and antique tools and parts therefor. His site has saved my bacon a couple times when I could not find a part anywhere else. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 3:44 AM, KarlvonKoln said:

I would also check:

Dave's Watch Parts

too, he has a lot of vintage wrist watch cases and case parts, although he does admittedly specialize in pocket watches and antique tools and parts therefor. His site has saved my bacon a couple times when I could not find a part anywhere else. 

+1 for Dave’s Watch Parts from me, as well. He too, has saved my bacon and helped me source a mainspring for a very old Elgin. Great guy and very helpful. 

Dave

• Like 1