Smith Astral clock in need of a new escapement wheel

DAI

Hello,

I am hoping someone will be able to help point me to a source of a new escapement wheel for my Smiths Astral Air Ministry clock.  It was running fine until it stopped!

On investigation, it seems the adjustment (meshing screw?) on the rear end of the first wheel had backoff slightly and permitted the escapement gear to disengage with the first wheel allowing it to free spin until it happened to re-engage and crash the escapement, break off the lower pivot.  It also dislodged one pallet, which I have since refitted.

However, I am having trouble locating a spare (new or usable) escapement wheel.  Can anyone help me please?  Thanks, David (UK).

1784930867_Screenshot2021-04-15at12_49_45.thumb.jpg.28c80e8f53f7501e568d85956377ade2.jpg

Edited by DAI
typo

• DAI changed the title to Smith Astral clock in need of a new escapement wheel

I would think that if you can find a good clockmaker, it should be a fairly straight forward repair to drill the arbor and press in some material and machine a new pinion. I have seen a video on YouTube of Mark doing that for a watch arbor so it should be easier for a clock arbor I would think?

Edited by Michael1962

Ah. You hadn't mentioned that.

As it is the escapement wheel and so is not undergoing a lot of torque, is it possible to solder the crack? That may quite well not be the preferred way to repair it, but might get you going while you look for a new one?

Did either of the pallet faces get chipped when the escapement 'crashed'?

Thanks Michael.  I didn't mention it, as the crack was not particularly visible and certainly the lesser of the damage.  I take your point about the pivot repair and could be a temporary solution.  I don't believe the cracked arm is repairable.  The wheel spins almost perfectly true with minimal distortion.   As you mention, it is a low torque wheel with three good arms, so might be fine.

Regarding the pallet; I can not see any damage to the pallet.  It is remarkable that so much damage to the pivot and wheel arm was caused, whilst a dislodged pallet seems fine.  It is now resecured and I am confident it will perform ok.

I am hopeful someone might point me towards a replacement escapement wheel.  A simple replacement would return the clock to fine fettle.  The movement is otherwise in excellent condition (Astral EW.157).

Edited by DAI

20 hours ago, DAI said:

Hello,

I am hoping someone will be able to help point me to a source of a new escapement wheel for my Smiths Astral Air Ministry clock.  It was running fine until it stopped!

On investigation, it seems the adjustment (meshing screw?) on the rear end of the first wheel had backoff slightly and permitted the escapement gear to disengage with the first wheel allowing it to free spin until it happened to re-engage and crash the escapement, break off the lower pivot.  It also dislodged one pallet, which I have since refitted.

However, I am having trouble locating a spare (new or usable) escapement wheel.  Can anyone help me please?  Thanks, David (UK).

1784930867_Screenshot2021-04-15at12_49_45.thumb.jpg.28c80e8f53f7501e568d85956377ade2.jpg

It will be extremely difficult to find a replacement wheel but you might be able to find a donor movement on eBay. This is a pretty straight forward repair for a watchmaker who would just re-pivot the wheel. 

I would still pick some brains of the people on here as to what can be done. I would have thought soldering then shaping would be a fairly easy task? I would be looking at slightly 'V'ing out the crack, soldering and then reshaping.

The pivot is a different issue, but a clockmaker should be able to do this I would have thought?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.greenfieldclockshop.com%2Fclocks%2Fsmiths-astral.html&psig=AOvVaw3hRXKq-mWmzrp6oCgAbyD4&ust=1618754173260000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwjk5omtt4XwAhVMYBoKHRdVBDYQr4kDegUIARD1AQ            I believe its an ABEC platform the above site I think would be able to help. I have a few bits of these platforms. I have rebuilt some from scrappers in the past so all the bits seem to interchange ok. If you get stuck Give me a PM and we shall see what i can turn up     cheers.