Invicta Pro diver caliber 28949 bezel spring question

Hello everyone, I have a Invicta diver I recently purchased off ebay. It was really cheap and new they are very affordable. The watch appeared as in new condition with the exception a broken crystal and the crown/stem was removed.   It looked like someone put the watch in a vice and removed the stem. The setting lever has a gouge in it and the gouge acts as a ramp so the crown/stem pulls out with a moderate amount of force. I bought a new crystal from Esslinger for like 4 bucks and it fit perfectly. Getting the bezel ring back on is the question. There is a piece of wire that acts at the click spring for the rotating bezel and a octagon like lighter spring that is the bezel retention mechanism.

Getting these both back in the right place without removing the bezel ring decal seems a challenge. If anyone has an idea how to get the springs correctly located under the bezel ring would be appreciated.

Thank-you,

Matt

1 hour ago, Nibbler said:

Hello everyone, I have a Invicta diver I recently purchased off ebay. It was really cheap and new they are very affordable. The watch appeared as in new condition with the exception a broken crystal and the crown/stem was removed.   It looked like someone put the watch in a vice and removed the stem. The setting lever has a gouge in it and the gouge acts as a ramp so the crown/stem pulls out with a moderate amount of force. I bought a new crystal from Esslinger for like 4 bucks and it fit perfectly. Getting the bezel ring back on is the question. There is a piece of wire that acts at the click spring for the rotating bezel and a octagon like lighter spring that is the bezel retention mechanism.

Getting these both back in the right place without removing the bezel ring decal seems a challenge. If anyone has an idea how to get the springs correctly located under the bezel ring would be appreciated.

Thank-you,

Matt

need pictures

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 8:23 PM, Nibbler said:

Normally the insert is not to be removed on rotating bezels, but if you can confirm that on this particular watch  is just impossible to fit the segmented retainer from the bottom - even omitting the spring - then you will have to do that and fit the retainer from the top with be bezel in place.

I peeled the the bezel trim ring off. Turns out this is very easy to do. The metal is pretty soft so one needs to take care removing it. 

its all back together and another successful repair completed. This is my first crystal replacement so i am chuffed at the result. There are a few scratches from the previous owner but what the heck.

4029C8A3-46B2-453B-9BAD-71EDBFD08480.jpeg

1 hour ago, Nibbler said:

I peeled the the bezel trim ring off. Turns out this is very easy to do. The metal is pretty soft so one needs to take care removing it. 

Typically one heats it all with an hairdryer. The glue or adhesive film is non permanent, by purpose. 

I was reaching for my surface mount hot air tool to heat the ring when I noticed the ring moving with slight pressure. The ring peeled of easily without heat and also the sticky glue was not destroyed.  I would have heated it up if it appeared more stubborn. 

Edited by Nibbler

4 minutes ago, Nibbler said:

This is a hobby for me and learning how watches are designed is more of a motivation than absolute perfect repairs.  

That is all good, full armament tecniques are not always needed. If you want to learn about a much better designed and executed rotating bezel get a Seiko diver's. 

oops, I edited the part out  jdm quoted at the same time he was responding..lol

I have several Seiko divers and other than the spring ball getting permanently rusted into the watch housing I agree its a much much better design.  When I was researching how to fix the Invicta I saw a comment from another forum member basically saying no one is looking to make a living by repairing Invicta watches. This sort of made sense looking at bezel design.

I do really enjoy working on Seikos. For some reason I like the 2205 ladies watch movements and similar and also the Bellmatic movements.

8 minutes ago, Nibbler said:

I have several Seiko divers and other than the spring ball getting permanently rusted into the watch housing I agree its a much much better design.

Then you have vintage ones as Seiko switched to using a single spring maybe 20 years ago. It takes really a lot of mistreat to clog them.