In search of a crown

This question relates to post Military watch

Now that I have a tube installed, I am in search of a crown.

Using my tap gauge (it is a vintage screw plate), the stem taps out at Tap 6.  Looking about various suppliers, this does not appear to be readily available.

I will continue to look and monitor Ebay for something that will work.

Any suggestions?

I realize that I could turn down the stem I have and re tap to a more popular size (e.g., 10).  Kinda don't want to do that unless I find another stem as a backup.

I have so many lathes now (OCD/lathe-fettish), I should just make a stem from scratch!  LOL...maybe...

1 hour ago, LittleWatchShop said:

This question relates to post Military watch

Now that I have a tube installed, I am in search of a crown.

Using my tap gauge (it is a vintage screw plate), the stem taps out at Tap 6.  Looking about various suppliers, this does not appear to be readily available.

I will continue to look and monitor Ebay for something that will work.

Any suggestions?

I realize that I could turn down the stem I have and re tap to a more popular size (e.g., 10).  Kinda don't want to do that unless I find another stem as a backup.

I have so many lathes now (OCD/lathe-fettish), I should just make a stem from scratch!  LOL...maybe...

Tap 6 seems really small, i would measure again with calipers. 

In any case you can use a size adapting extension. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/regular-swiss-made

5 minutes ago, jdm said:

Tap 6 seems really small, i would measure again with calipers.

Well, this may be user operator error.  I have a screw plate with numbers 1-18.  I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that these numbers represented "tap" values.  I did measure outside diameter of the threads and got something like 1.2mm.

1 hour ago, rodabod said:

I guess your A-17

Correct.  I am still fiddling with this.  I found a crown on another scrap watch that fits the stem, but now it appears that too much of the stem is consumed by the threads, so I cannot get it to seat properly for winding.  I have more stems on order, so I can cut to the necessary size.

Still working on this off and on.  Yesterday when messing with the crown issue, I discovered that the hack feature did not work.  I am pretty sure it was working.  Ugh.  So today, I tore it down again to figure out what was up.

Well...the shepherd's hook spring for the hacking function was broken!  Kinda hard to believe.  I have a huge assortment of springs, so it was an easy fix.

The watch is back together...hands and all.  Still have not proven a solution for the crown, but I am very close.  Waiting for new stems to show up to complete my plan.