Mini German cuckoo clock

HectorLooi

I just got a cuckoo clock from ebay. It was sold as non working and missing the weights.

I found that the chain on the chime side had slipped off the sprocket. I managed to coax it back on by turning the clock upside down and shaking it gently until it slipped back into place. 

For a trial run, I tied a small bag of coins to the chain as weights and it started ticking away. 

Is there any way to determine the correct amount of weight to use to avoid damaging the mechanism? 

20210414_211705.thumb.jpg.627541c49b9d6903dcd566ca30230208.jpg

I would suggest this will involve a bit of trial and error as cuckoo clock weights can vary from 80g upwards depending on the size of the mechanism. Maybe play around with the coin bag weights and observe the drive train to make sure nothing is straining. it would be worth giving the mech a clean at the same time to make sure there's no hidden problems. otherwise it looks to be a good find. Cousins do the proper style weights quite cheaply....no pun intended!

• Thanks 1

Will the weights on the time and chime sides be equal?

I watched several YouTube videos on cuckoo clock repairs and they always remove the whistles to get to the movement. Is that the only way to remove the movement or is it possible to remove the movement by removing the front panel?

Hi Hector,  the weights differ I have two of these with regula movements one day regula 25 and an eight day regula,  Removal of the bellows makes the job easier. They have to be removed to check the bellows material as they crack on the creases if they are leather or Velum easily repaired using Tyveck material.

Have a look at a site called Frankenmuth they have quite abit of info on cuckoo clocks

https://frankenmuthclock.com/

• Thanks 1

I hung 2 bags of coins as weights to test the clock last night. I used 180g for the time train and 200g for the chime train. The chime and cuckoo sounds just about right but the amplitude of the pendulum is a little low. Should I use 200g weights for both time and chime trains?

I had a better look at the insides of the clock today, it says "Cuckoo Clock Manufacturing Co.  440". Does anyone know the correct amount of weight for this movement? TIA

Hi Hector  The determining factors are make of clock, Regula / Hubert Herr etc is it a one day or eight day.

Generally the one day  will take   275brm to 320 grm better with the 320  the eight day 1200 to 1500 so I would set up the clock  and substitute the weights for your coins and increase or decrease as required to achieve the weight then purchase the right ones apparently the one days will work on with the same weight on either chain, ones with three chains (music) the weights differ because of the increased function load required ti drive the music box and carousel.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Don't forget to clean the cuckoo shit out.?

It is surprisingly clean inside. But out here in the tropics, I'm sure all sorts of critters will take up residence inside the clock case. ?

How often should a cuckoo clock be cleaned? Considering that there are so many openings.

A few things to take into consideration.

Never have a clock near central heating, don’t hang it near draft, it could stop the clock, the pendulums on cuckoo clocks are very light. If your home is prone to dust and it’s a hot environment where you have the doors open each and every day about every 2 to 3 years otherwise 4 to 5.  I would check it every year just to make sure it is oiled and not running on dry bearings which as you know will add to wear.  

• Thanks 1