cleaning a watch craft mainspring winder

Hi Guys,

I have a new to me watch craft mainspring winder set.  There is rust and green oxidation on the disks (and probably underneath) in the barrels.  It's so bad that the push buttons will not depress to eject the disk/spring.  Any ideas on how to clean these up without making it worse?  I do have an ultrasonic.  I do not have commercial watch cleaning wash.  should i take them apart; is there a way to do that?  or do i leave them intact and soak them in something?  Thank you.

watch craft winder.jpg

I'm not an expert at cleaning but I'd soak them in a good degreaser first (for example Horosolv) and if necessary gently brush them with a glass fiber brush to see what grime comes off. Be careful with the brush though as it can make scratches. That should remove any old dried up oils. If there's rust I'd try vinegar essence but be careful to soak them for too long as vinegar essence can start to eat on the metal as well. Another option is acetone which can be very efficient. To get rid of these liquids dip them in IPA (isopropanol) and blow them dry.

• Like 1

Oh, and I forgot to mention! Washing-up liquid can be extremely efficient. I haven often been using it and a soft dense toothbrush to get large watch parts really clean, like the main plate and the bridges. Does an outstanding job on the jewels as well. Please keep us up to date on your progress! Thanks!

Hello, just a quick update on my progress cleaning the mainspring winders.  I don't have any chemicals so i just dipped the heads into vinegar for 15 minutes and used a very small brush to clean the loose stuff off on the front and behind the disc.  I then dipped the heads in lighter fluid because i thought that would get rid of the water from the vinegar.  i then dried it with a hair dryer and finally lightly coated it with some clock oil i have.  it actually works nicely now.  I did one and now have 5 to go.  thanks for the ideas.  Arron.

• Like 1