How do I reattach this date wheel?

GregG

I'm trying to attach the date wheel on the right (pictured upside down to show gear) to this watch. As far as I can tell, the hook on the gear circled in red advances the teeth on the date gear, and the spring arm circled in blue holds the gear from moving back and forth. If I put the date wheel on the center pinion, the date gear is resting on top of the spring arm, but I can maneuver the spring through the cutouts in the date wheel so that it meshes with the teeth.

The problem is that the spring arm is resting so fragile-ly in the date gear that the tiniest of disturbances will make the date wheel pop off. I can't get the dial on without it popping off. What do you think I'm doing wrong here?

IMG_20210411_230358 - Copy.jpg

Edited by GregG

After putting the date wheel on have you tried a dial washer on top then put the dial on and tighten to see if that works. I notice there's no grease on the end of the lever blue to help it work between the date wheel teeth. 

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

After putting the date wheel on have you tried a dial washer on top then put the dial on and tighten to see if that works. I notice there's no grease on the end of the lever blue to help it work between the date wheel teeth. 

Thank you for the reply hippy.  I will try that, but I think the issue rests with the shape of dial, which is curved.  This causes the edges of the dial to touch the date wheel before the center of the dial does.  But, I will give it a shot.  Thank you.

15 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I was just thinking as you say it has a curved dial, I have know some to have a hard ring that goes around the underside of the dial which acts as a spacer. 

Hmmm, I don't recall seeing a hard spacer ring, but then again, I bought the watch as non-working, so maybe someone futzed with it before.

I suspect you are missing some kind of clip, like the c-shaped circlip Seiko use.

DSC02595.thumb.JPG.2aee943143ca70b41686746ba1019878.JPG

Are there any tell-tale signs of wear on the upper face of the date disc, where such a clip would rub? Other than that, maybe try assembly with the date-change pawl engaged with the teeth as well as the spring. Maybe that will give you enough stability to get the dial washer and dial in place.

13 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

I suspect you are missing some kind of clip, like the c-shaped circlip Seiko use.

The same type of clip is used by the ETA 2836-2 and is critical to keep the day wheel in place.

7 hours ago, Klassiker said:

DSC02595.thumb.JPG.2aee943143ca70b41686746ba1019878.JPG

Are there any tell-tale signs of wear on the upper face of the date disc, where such a clip would rub? Other than that, maybe try assembly with the date-change pawl engaged with the teeth as well as the spring. Maybe that will give you enough stability to get the dial washer and dial in place.

Yes, there is a spot with some wear in it.  I suppose that could be it.  However, I managed to solve it by doubling up on dial washers.  I don't know how stable that solution is, but it seems to work for now.

6 hours ago, clockboy said:

Normally a C clip holds the date disc however it looks like a clip has already been fitted. Maybe the wrong clip has been fitted. PS do we know the calibre so some research can happen. 

I searched around for a movement number.  There was some text on the underside of the movement but I searched google for it and it doesn't look like it corresponds to any movement number, I think it was just circumstantial.