Magnification when oiling

I use a x10 loupe when oiling movements. However, I find it's a real struggle when oiling the pallet stone because my eye needs to be almost on-axis with the oiler (to get the oil in the right location) but the focal length means there is not enough distance between loupe and the movement to comfortably manipulate the oiler. Other than using a microscope, what is the best method of magnification for this sort of work?

Either be a magician and do it with a 5x loupe, or go pro* and use a microscope .

*been using a microscope for this since I was in school last century. Also, as Hunter S. Thompson said, when the going gets weird, the weird go pro. My kids know that dad is a pro level weirdo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You know what I find weird? My mentor can oil pallet stones with just a 3.3x loupe. I can't even see if have sufficient oil or too much oil on my oiler at that magnification. 

Maybe when a person starts watchmaking at a young age, the eyes are better. And over the years, with practice, muscle memory and whole lot of imagination, they can still "see" at 3.3x magnification. 

• Like 2

I do this at 10x by sticking the fork end in some rodico and angling it so that the light glints off the face I'm oiling.  Then I move the oiler slowly down in a direct line away from me towards the glint.  Once the oiler touches the face and deposits the oil you can clearly see how much you've put on because the oil doesn't reflect the light in the same way as the face of the stone.

4 hours ago, AlanRH said:

what sort of costs are we looking at for these ?

Not cheap I'm afraid. But I find it invaluable. No more squinting through a loupe whilst trying to get enough light and tools in. Just sit comfortably and work with a clear, bright, big image.

I have one similar to this www.amazon.co.uk/3-5X-45X-Stereo-Microscope-Single-Stand

I normally have it with a 0.5 x Barlow lens which gives me up to 20 magnification, but enough working depth to get screwdrivers in (about 15cm). I rarely need more magnification, even for oiling pallet jewels, though I can go up to 80x mag for a close look at jewels or pivots. You can zoom the magnification in and out and it stays in focus.

I started with a cheap USB microscope attached to the PC. Great value, but you can't work using the image due to the lag.