Last Three Days The "bench Project".

zenon

Seeing all those workplaces and benches here I decided to make one for myself. Budget, budget and budget. So...

We have in Brisbane this 'Reverse Garbage Shop'. They get stuff from businesses, manufacturers and citizens. They sort it out, price and sell to the public - excellent idea. Schools and artists have feasts.

I visited them few days ago and found four office cabinets kind of file cabinets with some draws. Made of MDF and cheap-board in very good condition. The only issue is they are VERY heavy. Got them home and started to fiddle with them, cut, drill saw etc. I had an old table top (glued pine) 1500 long and the top turned out to be just right for the bench. It all turns out to be a bit largish but I will have plenty of space for tools (tools to be) and parts.

I reduced the height of a pair of the cabinets so I can stack them up to rise the sides of the workplace. Decided for 900mm - it just fits under the window. It is still work in progress but at least I can sleep well knowing that I will have workbench so I do not need to bite my finger nails and feel this overwhelming envy for those of you already having nice workbenches. ;)

The collage is a bit messy as I generally am.  Half way one side already cut. Lowering the draws, fitting bench. The table top got little twisted and I hope I can spring flat it with some larger screws. As you can see I am still liked by birds. These are Australian Magpies. You feed them once and from that day they will demand food every day and complain if you are late. 

Next whatever is left of the cabinets.

Magpies sing nicely

Z

post-335-0-18853600-1428634401_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-07709900-1428634417_thumb.jpg

Edited by zenon
  • Like 1

That will be a great setup once you have finished it Zenon, lot's of storage space plus natural light from the window. :) When your up and running, you'd better keep the window closed or your feathered admirers might steal the shiny bits! ;)

• Like 1

When your up and running, you'd better keep the window closed or your feathered admirers might steal the shiny bits! ;)

That is true to keep the window shut but the Australian Magpies are very honest and hardly ever steal not like the European :-) I am more worried about the rain. :D

Almost done. I've test assembled it on the veranda - the workbench is heavy as if made of lead. Good that I got it all in modules.

Moved the bench inside and here it is:

While inside I added little shelf (for clocks and writing) the I can roll out.

post-335-0-04713300-1428663622_thumb.jpg

Just that there is no mistake it will be used for watches and clocks (the staking set just took possession of the bench)..

post-335-0-51917900-1428663643_thumb.jpg

So tomorrow I will try to install some fences on the bench top - back and sides - and on the shelf. I am quite happy with the result. Next a decent light.

Z

ps.

I should have more pictures taken in the process to properly report the job and to give some workbench making ideas for others.

Edited by zenon
  • Like 2

Thank you all nice people. :) I am happy too. Even though I do not have the right woodworking tools it turned up ok. Once I can imitate, roughly, Mark's simpler performances in his videos (basic watch service) I am going to play with acoustics - poor man's escapement analyzer. Unfortunately the analyzer software works only on Windows and I am running Linux. Will see.

Thanks again and back to the finishi9ng touches.

These are the last pictures of some final touches. Tomorrow I will move tools into the place.

This is the 'clockbench' shelf. I am not completely happy it needs adjusting but it will do for the moment - will be tested later.
post-335-0-30135800-1428745877_thumb.jpg

Now you don't see it!

post-335-0-10964300-1428745668_thumb.jpg

And now you do! :-)

post-335-0-67087100-1428745700_thumb.jpg

This is the secret draw in which I will keep a lot of small bars of gold, platinum, rhodium (and californium if I can get a few of these) after I make bags of money on watchmaking. :-)

• Like 1

Oh yeah! That's what I'm talking about! Nice set up. Very impressed with the final result!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Plenty of Californium in...California? I'll stick to Miamium, I think it is expensive enough! :)

Hm... Miamium it sound like roasted pork belly with horseradish and icy cold vodka! Screw the Californium then I am all the way for Miamium . :)

• Like 1