Rolex dial face rotated inside watch. Any ideas? Thanks

I found this forum during a search for a reason that my watch dial or face twisted or rotated inside the watch. I’m unable to find anything about this happening. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. I got the watch as a graduation gift 20+years ago and wear it almost every day . Thanks. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you so much.  I had my watch on and was using an orbital buffer to polish some lucite shelves, actually the ones in the pick lol. Damn. So would you suggest sending to Rolex. I’m horrible and haven’t had it serviced since the first one after five years. But wear it every day. It’s never even lost/gained time that I notice. Or so you think a watchmaker could do the service and repair? Rolex would have it for months, they are months backlogged due to COVID shutdown. 

5 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Never heard that a shock that can break dial feet but leave balance pivots undamaged.

Actually it happens a lot.

Just for my curiosity I would like to see better pictures of the OP watch, as in between lugs and of the movement. 

• Like 2

4 saat önce Xilikon şunları söyledi:

There may be more than one reason for the dial legs to break.1...

The watch may have been exposed to hard use more than once. 2....If it falls from a high place onto a hard surface, the dial legs may break....3.If the bracelet on the watch is wide on the user's arm, it may break as a result of hard acceleration...4.That way if you used a hammer or an ax while you were wearing your watch.it is likely to break.5...If the tightening of the dial screws is neglected after repair and maintenance of the watch, due to a service error, it may break while in use.,,

• Like 1

If the dial feet got sheared off, it makes me wonder how that happened without also damaging the canon pinion and center arbor as well (or maybe they are and we don't know).  I'm not disbelieving, mind, just curious.  
I also wonder if it may be possible that, during a previous service, a clumsy technician broke the feet off and tried to hide his mistake by putting the dial back on with some sort of adhesive that has since degraded.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

If the dial feet got sheared off, it makes me wonder how that happened without also damaging the canon pinion and center arbor as well

As mentioned, broken dial feet without other damage isn't a rare event at all. 

It doesn't have to be due to a single shock, to the contrary it happens more frequently over a long time. First the weakest and most stressed joint gives up, then the other is left bearing all forces and follows suit, then the dial finally rotates. 

It's a damage that a competent repairer must be able to execute, below video by our host Mark Lovick exposes the available tecniques and tools. 

• Thanks 1

Hi  the feet usually breakoff when the watch has received a sharp shock, as per Ahmet's post. There are Service agents who could undertake the work, The  AWCI American Watch and Clock institute will be able to supply a list of persons qualified  to do the repair/service.

The dial feet at least are damaged. Maybe other parts too. Overdue for a service. Take it to a watchmaker (as opposed to a jeweler who sells Rolex) who has the tools to open it up and do a proper diagnosis then give you a quote for the work. You are fortunate to be in a big city where such a business shouldn't be hard to find. A quick search turned up this one which fits the bill: http://whittleswatchworks.com

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who answered. It’s very nice of you guys to share your expertise with me and much appreciated. 

18 hours ago, jdm said:

Actually it happens a lot.

Just for my curiosity I would like to see better pictures of the OP watch, as in between lugs and of the movement. 

How would I take a pic of the movement? Isn’t that behind the dial? It’s a yacht master 1. The booklet that came with says it’s a  The year after I got mine they came out with the “ROLEXROLEXROLEX” that goes around the inside under the crystal. In between the lugs is the serial number. Was that what you wanted to see or something else between lugs? 

14 hours ago, Klassiker said:

The dial feet at least are damaged. Maybe other parts too. Overdue for a service. Take it to a watchmaker (as opposed to a jeweler who sells Rolex) who has the tools to open it up and do a proper diagnosis then give you a quote for the work. You are fortunate to be in a big city where such a business shouldn't be hard to find. A quick search turned up this one which fits the bill: http://whittleswatchworks.com

Thank you for the referral.