Can anyone repair a broken pivot??

After what started out as a fairly successful afternoon reinstalling a fusee and chain on my pocket watch, I managed to apply too much pressure when handling the movement and accidentally snapped the bottom pivot on the balance wheel! ?☹️?

I doubt a replacement can be found and if repairable, it is well beyond my capabilities.

Is there anyone on the forum that could assist with repairing or replacing this!??

2E1A5E5D-CABF-4D65-AB4B-9C8888A93315.jpeg

967B4E34-6C1C-4F6D-967F-66764AFD0590.jpeg

CFC16B8F-71DA-4231-9F59-4E1843AE6D35.jpeg

I have watched a video in which Mark did it.  I understand the principles and I have the tools and the drill bits.  But I have never done it, and currently have no pivot wire.  I had planned to set aside some time to practice re-pivoting some old junk watch wheels and balance wheels, because I believe I may need to do so someday.  I can tell you, it can be done.
If you're not in a hurry to fix the watch, you can acquire what you need to re-pivot the staff: pivot drill bits, to start.  I have a pivot polisher that is set up to take drill bits, in perfect alignment.  But a small lathe is probably better.  You'd basically be drilling into the exact center of the shaft, installing pivot wire into the hole with a tiny amount of Loctite glue, and then poising and polishing and cutting to length, as I understand it.  This is something you'll want to practice on spare parts several times before attempting it on a watch you care about, obviously, but I plan to get good at this and I'm sure you could also.
I am also sure there are members on this forum who've done this, probably more than once.  I will let them chime in and add to what I wrote here.  There are many with more years of experience than I have.

46 minutes ago, Robbie010 said:

After what started out as a fairly successful afternoon reinstalling a fusee and chain on my pocket watch, I managed to apply too much pressure when handling the movement and accidentally snapped the bottom pivot on the balance wheel! ?☹️?

I doubt a replacement can be found and if repairable, it is well beyond my capabilities.

Is there anyone on the forum that could assist with repairing or replacing this!??

2E1A5E5D-CABF-4D65-AB4B-9C8888A93315.jpeg

967B4E34-6C1C-4F6D-967F-66764AFD0590.jpeg

CFC16B8F-71DA-4231-9F59-4E1843AE6D35.jpeg

I make full balance staffs and usually do not repivot. check me out on youtube JD Richard

• Thanks 1