How to remove a fingerprint?

Hi all

This is my first advice request so be gentle with me!

I've just bought this 1945 Universal Geneve from a "popular auction site" for the princely sum of £112 which to me seemed a bit of a bargain.  It's a non runner but was running when it was put in a drawer a few years ago so I'm not expecting any issues with the movement.

The question I have is around the dial.  I love the general patina and given that the watch is over 75 years old I think it's in pretty good shape (my dad is 75 and he looks far worse)...  Clearly though, in the dark and distant past, someone has handled the dial with sweaty fingers and left a couple of lovely fingerprints which have blackened with age.

Does anyone have any experience of removing this kind of mark from an old dial and could give me some tips?

20210409_105804.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Dial cleaning/restoration is a tricky subject.  You can do far more damage to a dial by trying to restore it than just leaving it alone.  Ask me how I know!  If you really want it restored you can send it off to a professional.

The most I attempt now is a tiny drop of demineralised water and a cleaning swab.  I find these rubber swabs really good. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/rubber-head-rubystick-cleaning-swabs

First make sure the dial is free from dust by using a blower or a very soft brush.  Then dip a swab in water and start in an area that doesn't have any print and gently rub the swab.  You should only have a tiny drop of water on the dial in the area you're working in.  Limit the time water is on the dial by rolling a cotton wool bud over the area to soak it up.  Stop and inspect the area under magnification.  If you see any damage then stop.  If you've not removed any dirt then stop.  Sometimes it can look like you're making it cleaner but all you're doing is removing the lacquer. 

Printed text on dials can come off very easily, one wipe and it's gone.  If there is an area that sits under the cases and not normally visible you can have a go at it to judge how easily it is removed.  I normally clean up to the text and leave a nice box around it.  Sometimes you can blend in the edges of the box so that it doesn't stick out.

This is by no means a professional guide to cleaning dials, proceed at your own risk.

If it were me, I'd embrace the patina and enjoy it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OneClick said:

Hi all

This is my first advice request so be gentle with me!

I've just bought this 1945 Universal Geneve from a "popular auction site" for the princely sum of £112 which to me seemed a bit of a bargain.  It's a non runner but was running when it was put in a drawer a few years ago so I'm not expecting any issues with the movement.

The question I have is around the dial.  I love the general patina and given that the watch is over 75 years old I think it's in pretty good shape (my dad is 75 and he looks far worse)...  Clearly though, in the dark and distant past, someone has handled the dial with sweaty fingers and left a couple of lovely fingerprints which have blackened with age.

Does anyone have any experience of removing this kind of mark from an old dial and could give me some tips?

20210409_105804.jpg

tRY CAREFULLY RUBBING IT WITH rODICO

Thanks for the input guys.

I've done a few dials and only even use a cotton bud and water.  I was hoping that there might be a tried and tested technique for removing fingerprints specifically.  Having said that, I've now taken a close look at the mark under the scope and rather than sitting on the surface as I originally thought, it looks like it's actually discoloured the surface.

I'll just give it a very gentle clean and concentrate on the movement and case!  I've never worked on a UG so looking forward to getting my teeth into it.

So frustrating to see that! This is why we need to avoid touching parts now---the damage is done, even if we don't see it for a couple decades.

In this case, the oils in the fingerprints have either etched into the varnish/coating layer on the dial or into the metal layer below. In both cases, it would be hard to remove only the fingerprint. (If this is a silver dial, all hope is lost.)