Fusee

Willow

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

That is what it would look like when it was new and it would look like that re silvered. 

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

That is what it would look like when it was new and it would look like that re silvered. 

but once it has been re silvered what about the numbers how do you get the numbers on

Well my new mainspring arrived today my question is can i put it halfway in the barrel take the wire off thats retaining it push it all the way in and then oil it or will it have to be completely unwound then cleaned and oiled

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally got time to work on my Tameside clock decided to put the new mainspring back in the barrel with Ollie Baker Winder, and i was having a problem getting it in the barrel with the retainer i used to take it out it was to big so ended up putting the next size down but that was to small i then had the problem with getting the arbor to catch so i thought what a good idea if i got smooth nose pliers to hook it on ?and i ended up snapping a bit of spring off?take it easy with me just wondering if it could be salvage or is it another new mainspring at £42 a go.What do they say about you learn from your mistakes.

IMG_20210430_100247323_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210430_100304587_HDR.jpg

• Sad 2

Hi forgot to ask what can i do if the sleeves i have are to big or to small when i am trying to put the spring back into the barrel can you buy different sizes i have 9 that came with the winder but i don't seem to have the right one even though the sleeve i used i managed to take it out, so i am going to have the same problem getting it in the barrel. Will i have to take it to a clock repairer?

16 minutes ago, Tmuir said:

You may need to make another sleeve, see if you can get lucky and find some brass or steel tube that is the correct size to make another sleeve.

If only i could no room in my house and only have a small garden,so it's hoping i can get the right size or it will be off to the clock man or women repairer, just re-read your reply and i think i know what you mean i will have a look around and see if can find some steel thanks Tmuir

Edited by Willow
Re-read reply

Decided to contact a clock repairer who has a shop in Warrington about 1/2 hour to see if he will put the spring in the barrel for me  just sent him an e-mail see if he replies not holding much hope though,if not i no you advised me not to do it oldhippy i will just have to put the spring in the barrel and hope it catches let you know.

Hi just interested on your opinion on this article i found about inserting springs into a fusee clock barrel and greasing i thought you only put small dabs of oil on the spring he has smeared a lot of grease on them. He also uses phosphor bronze  not gut or nylon as gut snaps and nylon stretches.Now i am tottally confused.I have tried to insert a link never done it before. https://www.clockrepaircumbria.co.uk/post/2017/11/22/the-fusee-clock-mechanism

Does he think he is greasing a bloody car engine, talk about over the top if he goes about it like that with all his clock mainsprings he must use pots of the stuff. Disregard what he has done.

The bronze line isn’t correct. When the fusse was invented cat gut or a chain would be used, but you cannot use a fusse chain on a fusse that has been made to take a line, the groves are a different cut. Cat gut would have been used as the line. The nearest you can get today is the synthetic gut. He contradicts himself by saying about how you should go about preserving the originality of the clock and he does the complete opposite. I had a preference to use nylon coated wire line, that is what I would use, but I always asked the customer what they wanted.

On Vienna regulator clocks you should always use synthetic gut.   

• Thanks 1