Fusee

Willow

5 hours ago, Willow said:

should i remove these two parts on the fusee for cleaning or leave them on 

Pull it apart, this is what will be on the inside.

fusee4.png.5315f5608421ed031b34cb72202a4962.pngfusee3.png.572e0758353a8e276ff3c1a147decbae.pngfusee2.png.0ff3f7591a9cc5adc38dc2fc12c58256.pngfusee1.png.66efbd4f6013ae99705c4cbe014befac.png

Here was the crack on the barrel on my Tameside.

crack.thumb.jpg.db4973be6372614b7279a1e2441e02e1.jpg

• Thanks 1

I actually still haven't finished fixing mine, other projects and life has got in the way.

I started to make a new barrel, but haven't finished it.

You can read what I did here.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/10659-tame-side-fusee-clock-in-need-of-tlc/?tab=comments#comment-96373

I also made myself a tool so I could measure the inside distance of the old barrel to work out the size I needed to make the new barrel.

I could of gotten away without making it, but it was another easy project for a weekend.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/11262-barrel-id-measuring-tool/?tab=comments#comment-101645

• Like 2

just read what you did Tmuir i don't know what i would have done if i had the problems you did don't have anything like the equipment you have (hope i am not talking to soon ) probably take it to a clock repairer or put it back on ebay for spares? nice work you done there

I am putting an order in for some clock stuff i need ,and thought i would order line for the fusee and wondering what if anyone have any views on what type bronze cable or gut ,also some grease for the ratchet is Novostar Barrel Grease good and should i put that on the mainspring too

Stay away from grease for the mainspring use Windles clock oil I've had Fusee's that have been absolutely packed with grease it usually ends up sticking the coils of the spring together, which results in uneven power delivery, clean it with a cloth soaked in lighter fluid or solvent I then put it back in the barrel and put some drops of Windles around the coils it is enough to migrate across the spring never had a sticking spring using this.

• Thanks 1

Yes a small amount of grease on a couple of teeth of the ratchet it will spread as you wind and a smear of grease where the ratchet spring touches the click and a tiny dab on the post the click goes onto.

• Thanks 1

Decided to take the mainspring out of the barrel today to clean and inspect it, i noticed a crack in the end that attaches to the barrel when it came to releasing the spring, the end came off and went inside? i then went against everything you are told not to do and ended up taking it out by hand?taxi on hand to take me A&E but didn't need it it came out fine must say my heart was in overdrive.

IMG_20210414_154353234_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

You will need to replace that spring with a new one. That is what can happen when you remove a spring by hand it doesn't rest flat. 

Yes have been looking at companies  they seem to want different measurements counsins want the dia  as well as  the length,thickness and width the dia is that the dia of the barrel  

Back again While i am waiting for mainspring to be delivered decided to have a look at the case and dial ,don't know if anyone can advise me on this as it's not related to the movement of the clock ,at the front of the clock is a crack which someone has tried to fill my problem do i take of the mouldings off and see if i clamp and try a close the gap then fill or will that cause it to split somewhere else or just fill it as it is. Next the dial i would like to freshen the face up and the numerals seem to have been painted i not sure if someone has had a go at painting them or if that is how it was. Thanks

IMG_20210416_101037031.jpg

IMG_20210416_101001659_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210416_100103323_HDR.jpg

The dial would be silvered when new. Have the numerals been painted on or are they filled with wax and someone has touched them up with black paint. The case can be filled by doing this  use a shellac stick. Heat and drip into the crack. Then polish. 

The dials are printed  on these not engraved this was to keep costs down in production, if you try to resilver you will lose the numerals and have to paint them back on or have the dial refinished, probably better leaving as is.

6 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

The dials are printed  on these not engraved this was to keep costs down in production, if you try to resilver you will lose the numerals and have to paint them back on or have the dial refinished, probably better leaving as is.

Bet you are glad you didn't bid for this now wls1971 new nylon and mainspring £42.14? what is the best way to clean the dial or are you saying leave it as it is