Jewel Setting Burnishing Problem

38 minutes ago, JGrainger said:

The Daniels Watchmaking book covers making replacement jewels, that can be adapted to modifying them to fit in a setting.

I have only flattened a jewel in the past but not modified the diameter or the hole size.

On 4/6/2021 at 5:03 PM, oldhippy said:

9 carat is the best because it's the hardest and cheapest. The higher the carat the softer it becomes and costly. Do you know anyone that makes gold jewelry or repair. The company I worked for had their own repairs for jewelry so I got mine from them. 

I have found this place 

https://bettsmetalsales.com/bullion

• Like 2

A nice long video for me to watch, which I will do so latter. I'm looking forward to the whole thing. 

I have now watched this right the way through and what an excellent video it is. Having to make or adapt tools to undertake a job is all part of watchmaking at a high standard. Having large stock is a must. I was never one for copying from books I preferred to watch my master at the lathe. Then he would watch me that is how I learned to make parts such as your type of repair. Watching you jd a true master watchmaker at work understanding how to go about the whole job right down to being prepared if you make a mistake, Which I'm pleased to say you didn't. 

Everyone on here that is into watch repairing should watch this. There is a big difference between a watch repairer and a watchmaker. 

On 4/12/2021 at 2:22 AM, oldhippy said:

A nice long video for me to watch, which I will do so latter. I'm looking forward to the whole thing. 

I have now watched this right the way through and what an excellent video it is. Having to make or adapt tools to undertake a job is all part of watchmaking at a high standard. Having large stock is a must. I was never one for copying from books I preferred to watch my master at the lathe. Then he would watch me that is how I learned to make parts such as your type of repair. Watching you jd a true master watchmaker at work understanding how to go about the whole job right down to being prepared if you make a mistake, Which I'm pleased to say you didn't. 

Everyone on here that is into watch repairing should watch this. There is a big difference between a watch repairer and a watchmaker. 

OH I really really appreciate your nice words. You just put a big smile on my face. I love watchmaking because it makes me think and that is my form of entertainment. I do need to make a few more jewel settings to make it a bit easier and I think I will use cross slides next time for cutting the trench for forming the burnishing material. Doing this by hand is way too risky. Also, the jewel diameter does matter as it impacts the material remaining for the last cut. You have helped me a lot over the years and I do appreciate it. Next adventure is soldering dial feet and the machine is in the mail:)

Next adventure is soldering dial feet. Now that is something I have never done. Even though I'm no longer working I would love to see how it is done properly. I hope at some point you will make a video of it a nice long one. ?