Seiko SZSC004 stem and screw tube issue

Hello,

I bought from US a Seiko SZSC004 last year in August. I am not from the USA. I am from Europe. But 3 months ago the screw down crown stopped screwing in. 

How can I repair the watch in Europe or get a stem and screw tube, Seiko US is telling me to send the watch there, any chance I can repair it in Europe?

Nobody from Romania is able to find the components.

Thank you.

20201104_163753.jpg

20201104_163736.jpg

1 hour ago, leonarddav said:

But 3 months ago the screw down crown stopped screwing in. 

How can I repair the watch in Europe or get a stem and screw tube, 

Seiko does not sell the tube separately, only the complete case, that for a Sumo can cost more than 200 or 300 Euros. 

You need to post good pictures of threading on tube and crown to ascertain the amount if damage, however normally these are repaired by a competent watchmakers that restore the threading. 

An owner can avoid 99% of these problems by reducing the number of times the crown is screwed out and in, and being very careful when that is done. 

• Like 1

Definitely pictures needed to see if it’s the  tube thread that has gone or the crown thread, obviously if one has damage then the other will but sometimes the crown is worse off. 
Does the crown go all the way in when you do screw it or does it sit proud? Wondering if the keyless works has gone wrong and is stopping the stem moving back into position?

I have tried to make pictures of the crown thread as good as I can with my phone.

The watch has not been worn more than 20 times and I am careful when I use my watches. I found it like this one day in the case , not on my hand.

The crown goes all the way in if I push on it, if not , the spring its pushing the crown out.

What I have not specified is that ,the watch was at a repair shop in my country and they were able to get a stem (crown) replacement. They tried to change it but it did not work as the tube thread was also an issue (this is what they told me).

How is it possible that Seiko (this big company) does not assure spare parts for quite new models (even if they have many different series with not very many build) ?

Is there any chance to repair it?

169268522_932406007535118_4297623799508299000_n.jpg

169170829_270243828085388_8153345364754109621_n.jpg

169391498_207780224439430_3168234491537137032_n.jpg

169181788_497379797967136_5254960089676161820_n.jpg

169189296_1440308729634857_1783956805855956020_n.jpg

169347671_228047582435917_1080081867594290606_n.jpg

169250100_110610334359919_4429679679104000555_n.jpg

169252078_305878610955127_5451717456024526625_n.jpg

That definitely needs a new tube, the threads have rounded off a treat there, I wonder if they can be chased in an attempt to sharpen them up. Although that might only be a temporary fix. 
It really does need a new tube, I’d be surprised if one is not available, if not a Seiko maybe a generic one from cousins

• Like 1

The problem will be finding genuine Seiko replacement parts. I suspect generic parts will be the only way forward. Personally I would first try a new crown (probably generic). The tubes on a Seiko if like the Citizens are friction fitted so without the correct tools it will not be easy. If you would prefer a recognised horologist to do the repair go to the BHI website who list members worldwide.

With proper apologies but I am getting the idea that this is a very hard repair that needs to be done. And creates frustration regarding the services of Seiko.

Not being able to repair a moving part of a watch due to unavailable components is unacceptable.

I think that my best way about this is to find a second hand case to do the repair. Can somebody help me to identify what is the case part number or what other Seiko watches use the same case?

The actual repair is a simple task, it just seems that the sourcing of parts is the drama. To find the case number you look on the case back where you will see numbers ie my old Seiko 7002-7000 the first number is the Cal. Number and the second is the case number. 
Have you checked out any of the Seiko forums for help, this forum is bloody brilliant but I know the Seiko forums are 110% dedicated to all things Seiko so might be worth poking around on them, although lots of members here cross between many forums so one might poke their head up soon to help more. 

6 hours ago, leonarddav said:

How is it possible that Seiko (this big company) does not assure spare parts for quite new models (even if they have many different series with not very many build) ?

Actually Seiko do make parts available however as mentioned above the tube is not considered replaceable hence is not not given a part number, and not sold. 

4 hours ago, clockboy said:

The problem will be finding genuine Seiko replacement parts. I suspect generic parts will be the only way forward. Personally I would first try a new crown (probably generic).

That's not so easy. Seiko screwed crowns are a single part with the stem, meaning you can't unscrew the two. And even before going into other technical issues about the thread, etc consider for this €700 watch is normlly important for owners to preserve full originality. 

4 hours ago, leonarddav said:

I am getting the idea that this is a very hard repair that needs to be done.

It is difficult in the sense that either you find a master watchmaker able to turn and thread a new tube from stainless steel (I am myself only partially equipped for that) or buy a full case, you can offset that cost by reselling the old one. In all cases you will likely need a new crown/stem combo. 

Can somebody help me to identify what is the case part number or what other Seiko watches use the same case?

Once again, your watch is normally referred to as Sumo, case reference 6R15-00G0, these can be found used starting €350. Another approach you can take is to sell your piece disclosing the defect and then buy another same or different watch. That could be still more economical than having the the watch repaired by an official Seiko service center in Europe. 

48 minutes ago, clockboy said:

That is for a 6A32-00G0 quartz watch. The OP has instead a 6R15-00G0 mechanical watch, with an undivisible crown/stem combo, part number 1E70C1SNS0. Cousins UK lists it it as obsolete meaning they could not obtain it, but other suppliers worldwide may.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

That is for a 6A32-00G0 quartz watch. The OP has instead a 6R15-00G0 mechanical watch, with an undivisible crown/stem combo, part number 1E70C1SNS0. Cousins UK lists it it as obsolete meaning they could not obtain it, but other suppliers worldwide may.

Thank you

2 hours ago, clockboy said:

Thank you

Is there also a way to know the diameter of the tube and its rivets? 

As I was informed, if it is possible to change the tube with a generic one then the stem and crown will be also changed with generic one. Sealing will be ensured but the logo and design of the crown will be no more.

My question is more in the direction if I can find out the diameter then I can order a specific tube that has similar diameter and rivet design.

Thank you.

The tube in the case yes, I mean the size of the rivets for the crown. So then I would be able to find a case tube that would work together with original Seiko crown/stem 1E70C1SNS0.

That would be great, wouldn't be? But if someone here knew of a ready part that fits he would have replied already. You need anyway to find a local watchmaker equipped to remove and replace the tube, measure threading, etc. Then if a generic tube that fits the original threading it might even a bit larger and the case hole reamed to fit. And it has to match on the internal diameter as well.

You see how this is not, unfortunately, a straight and easy repair.

33 minutes ago, leonarddav said:

In my frustration I ask, is this a defect that is usually seen and the manufacturing of the components should be more precise or am I just unlucky?

How one can tell? Even if there were some complaints on the Seiko forums, and I am not aware that there are, these would still be very few in comparison to the number of watches that Seiko sells. For sure, it never happened to me with any of the Seiko divers I have handled so far, which numbers in hundreds. 

If you are convinced that this is a manufacturing defect try making your point with Seiko USA to have it repaired under warranty.  You can then use an aquaitenenace or reshipper service to receive it back to your country.