Elgin #339 came by post!

It finally came!  I snatched this beauty off Ebay (for my sins) not long after I received my income tax refund.  Generally I do not bother with getting a watch there if the seller does not post pics of the movement,  but being a grade 339 I knew I already had a number of good spare parts if it needed any.  Seller mentioned it "needed service".  As a result, the price was not that dear. But I am a total sucker for a 3-finger bridge, so I took the risk and bid.  And got it. 

Aside from a thorough cleaning I can't really tell what other "service" she may need as yet.  I wound her and set her, had her on a shelf dial-up, then dial-down, then carried her around for a few hours today.  She keeps excellent time!  The sound she makes is flawless.  She's in beat.  So just cleaning and fresh oil, which I'd have done anyway.  She's just a beauty inside and out.

20210402_083021.jpg

20210402_083139.jpg

20210402_083528.jpg

20210402_085006.jpg

20210402_085052.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Now I'm just gilding the lily.  I'm putting the gold hands from one of my 16s Elgin parts movements onto the 339.  They are sister movements with a great many interchangeable parts; according to Ranfft's site the hands will fit.  I'm keeping the original hands in a little bag, but I want to use the gold ones.  They're head-turners.

20210413_183640.jpg