Waltham service

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PeterS said:

The mainspring has been modified.

the mainspring looks fine. It has a nice taper hopefully it will catch. I really don't like these type of mainspring barrels. At least with the bigger ones you can get in and filed a taper the smaller mainsprings you're almost have to always see if you get a new old stock original spring.

• 4 months later...

It took me some time to finish this one but I got there.

Quite often you hear, get a pocket watch, they are larger than wristwatches, they are easier to work with.
Yes they are larger and that makes it easier to work with but that’s where it ends. They are old, numerous people would have worked on them, parts would have been replaced with parts that are not quite the same, if you need parts they probably stopped producing them over a hundred years ago, you will need tools, some that are for pocket watches and you can no longer buy them and you will have to hope that some will pop on eBay…

Saying all that, it’s been a very enjoyable project and I learned a lot, far, far more than what you’ll learn when you service a wrist watch that only needs cleaning and lubricating.
I’d recommend picking up a pocket watch, however be prepared to overcome several obstacles.

Enjoy the photos.

P9030215 (Copy).JPG

P9040711 (Copy).JPG

P9030199 (Copy).JPG

P9030135 (Copy).JPG

P9030327 (Copy).JPG

P9040455 (Copy).JPG

P9030375 (Copy).JPG

P9040567 (Copy).JPG

• Like 4