1888 Longines

Hi there all, thought I would share this with you. Some time ago, or should I say once upon a time, I got this Longines pocket watch in a box of parts that I bought off a fellow who just wanted to get rid of it all. Most of it was just old movements and wheels and old tools and bits and pieces. There was a few complete watches amongst the box. Anyway I have been at the bench off and on for months between other things, stripping this watch down and checking out why it was not working. Firstly I found one of the screws on the click spring was broken in the plate so it would not wind. Then I noticed the hairspring was not connected to the stud. The brass stud pin was non existent. I could not find any other reason why it wouldn't work. I did not service it as this would have been a waste of time at this stage. So I removed the broken screw from the plate and fitted the huge click spring back on, then the cover plate and bingo it wound. Next thing I removed the balance and filed down by hand a brass stud pin and after using my hairspring vibrating tool to find where to stud it, I put it back together and low and behold it worked. I contacted Longines for information about the Watch and they sent this, 
The original serial number 480'958 identifies a hunter pocket watch in metal. It is fitted with a Longines manually wound mechanical movement, caliber 18LS and was invoiced on 10 November 1888 to the company Zivy, which was at that time our agent for Mexico.Zivy was a Paris and Mexico boutique of watch and jewellery merchant Hauser, Zivy & Cie. I did not take photos of the work because I didn't think this old jigger would  ever work again. But I will when I service it. 

Just thought I would share this with you.

IMG_20210330_222540.jpg

IMG_20210330_222511.jpg

IMG_20210330_222451.jpg

1617109604652896033312274525639.jpg

Edited by Graziano
  • Like 2

Considering the position of regulator arm ( in this picture),  you can or end up cutting aprox 2mm more off of the hairspring then bring the roller table back in beat, so you can regulate it with the regu arm positioned on the cock where it generally suppose to be.

Regs

Joe

7 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Considering the position of regulator arm ( in this picture),  you can or end up cutting aprox 2mm more off of the hairspring then bring the roller table back in beat, so you can regulate it with the regu arm positioned on the cock where it generally suppose to be.

Regs

Joe

Hi Joe, yes I will do that when I service it. I just wanted to see if it would work. The beat error was 9.8 so plenty of room to move, thanks. 

Graziano 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.