1983 Timex Red Dot Diver - Before & After

JerseyMo

A recent online purchase and repair to a 1983 Timex commonly called "Red Dot Diver".  Bought in non-working order I found internal damage due to a sheared pillar screw. With the aid of my parts collection all was corrected.  Here is the before and after.

- New Crystal

- replace pillar screw

- replace hour wheel

- COA ( clean, oil, adjust )

- polish buff

Only follow up has been with the seconds hands not seating correctly.  This is very common with vintage Timex because there is no center tube. So once lifted off the seconds wheel the hole tends to be distorted.  Typically I will place hand on a flat metal surface and peen the metal down. In this case that did not work so I when to next level and add a dot of black nail polish. The watch would have originally come with a stainless steel bracelet and the white strap on it now is for wrist worn testing.

Before.jpg

After.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Great looking watch! I recently got this same watch in a lot sale. It's a strong runner, but the stem doesn't seem to seat inside the movement in a secure enough manner to wind it. It will slip when trying to wind. I'm fairly familiar with taking these apart but I haven't encountered a Timex like this yet where the movement is fastened inside the case. I can't quite figure out how to remove it from the case. I've snapped one of those 4 pins holding the dial on before so I've been skittish about playing with it too much. Really awesome to see your before-after photos. Thanks!

23 hours ago, TC519 said:

the movement comes out the front.  Pop the case back off and remove the stem crown by loosening the set lever screw a little. Next lift the bezel ring and the crystal. Then movement will than come out the front.  It sounds like there may just be some built up grime in the stem tube.

Wow. These must be a seasonal thing. Finished this one last week. Maybe they somehow appear most frequently during tax season. 

Timex2021-05-11-174900.thumb.jpg.66a2294c62b9b02ae92a4101bd2da993.jpg

The proportions, and layout of this watch aesthetically, is IMHO is  so pretty, that at the risk of sounding snobby, I'm amazed Timex ever managed such a design. If it were a sterile dial, and I were guessing, Omega might seem a possible influence. The red dot, floating around the dial is the iceing on the cake. If only more of Timex's other watches of that period were this nice.

• Like 2