Tag Heuer Calibre 1887 parts advise

Hi, I have a Tag Heuer Calibre 1887 that has a damaged balance spring & broken staff (a loose screw and a lever floating around in the movement worked its way into the balance assembly) and I’m looking to replace the complete balance, does anyone know where I can source this?  I know some parts are restricted by Tag but I read that it’s based on a Seiko and wondered if anyone had any experience of this model?

Many thanks in advance!   ??

1 hour ago, Bradnett said:

Hi, I have a Tag Heuer Calibre 1887 that has a damaged balance spring & broken staff (a loose screw and a lever floating around in the movement worked its way into the balance assembly) and I’m looking to replace the complete balance, does anyone know where I can source this?

There is no secret place for parts, everybody here does the same Internet searches that anyone else can do. In case of really impossible to find or make parts the only solution to get the piece working again can be to send it to the manufacturer and swallow a large bill.

I know some parts are restricted by Tag but I read that it’s based on a Seiko and wondered if anyone had any experience of this model?

It is a 100% TH movement, the claimed "derivation" by Seiko is explained at the link below. There is no Seiko part that you can carry or adapt. https://www.europastar.com/magazine/highlights/1004071591-tag-heuer-addresses-the-1887-movement-controversy.html

I think you will have a hard time finding parts for this movement. Yes it is based on the Seiko 6S37 but I doubt that parts are interchangable. My usual sites to buy watch parts don't list Tag Heuer parts. On eBay there is a complete 1887 for sale, but for the price you probably can have it repaired by Tag Heuer. 

1 minute ago, jdm said:

There is no secret place for parts, everybody here does the same Internet searches that anyone else can do. In case of really impossible to find or make parts the only solution to get the piece working again can be to send it to the manufacturer and swallow a large bill.

It is a 100% TG movement, the clailmed "derivation" by Seiko is explained at the link below. There is no Seiko part that you can carry or adapt. https://www.europastar.com/magazine/highlights/1004071591-tag-heuer-addresses-the-1887-movement-controversy.html

Wasn’t looking for a secret place I asked if any parts were interchangeable also but thanks for your wise advise

2 minutes ago, handwound said:

I think you will have a hard time finding parts for this movement. Yes it is based on the Seiko 6S37 but I doubt that parts are interchangable. My usual sites to buy watch parts don't list Tag Heuer parts. On eBay there is a complete 1887 for sale, but for the price you probably can have it repaired by Tag Heuer. 

Thanks, I saw that one on eBay but it’s now out of stock so looks like going to Tag AD ?

I have a link below that talks about the movement. While it is based on the Seiko movement it looks like it's not an exact clone of the Seiko movement? It's one of the minor problems of movements based on other movements they usually don't specify whether they exactly clone the movements or whether they do a generic representation of whatever they perceived they like from the original movement and heavily modify at the point of nothing from the original will fit the new.

Then first link not really helpful sort of? The only reason I'm placing it here is it shows that it looks like the balance complete can be available or at least it was available and it gives you a clue of how much it was available for. Usual source I look at for parts doesn't even list it so we can't look up a cross reference unfortunately.

https://www.buzzufy.com/tag-heuer-caliber-1887-balance-wheel-with-bridge-part.html

https://www.calibre11.com/calibre-1887-story/

Problem with some of the watch companies they don't like us. They don't have tech sheets there is no cross reference there is no nothing. Which is not entirely true if they have service centers then they would have access to tech sheets. Who knows I might even have a cross reference but I doubt it. The problem is none of us have access to the secret parts and technical information as you would have to be a service center. That is providing back she have service centers they may not.

The simplistic of all of this means that set up an active search on eBay sooner or later something might turn up like a movement or like above the noise you might get a balance wheel and bridge if somebody can mobilize is a watch.

4 minutes ago, Bradnett said:

Thanks, I saw that one on eBay but it’s now out of stock so looks like going to Tag AD ?

Well the one I am talking about is still available. I will send you a private message with the link. Maybe it could be actually a bit cheaper than having it done by Tag Heuer themselves.

31 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

While it is based on the Seiko movement it looks like it's not an exact clone of the Seiko movement?

Of course it is not. As the TH spokeperson said on the matter in the article I've linked above:

“We redesigned the movement, following the patent, leading to a movement with different dimensions, the plate is bigger (29.3mm) and we have reduced the thickness ..."

Just look at the following pictures to see how even if parts are in the same general postion, they are made differently - beside a superior finishing by TH.

TAG110_1.jpg.d4e40414a4070af02516e267831742db.jpg

mseikofm92.thumb.jpg.aba96ccb132536c4ea6e7ed6540edecd.jpg

Anyway, going back to OP issue. If the only damage is the balance staff and hairspring, the first can be cut anew by a master watchmaker, we have more than a member here that does that, and the hairspring corrected and brought back to good shape, also many examples of these skilled repairs.