DIY Oiler cup

I need more oiler cups--I only have one.  So I had this idea to make one.  I don't have any agate lying around.  Even if I did, I do not have the tools to create the dimple. 

Suddenly it came to me!  An acrylic watch crystal could be the cup.  All that I needed was some way to mount it.

Ahhh...the 3D printer. 

Then to add some weight, I scavenged an old watch case from the scrap pile.

Here it is on the left.

The crystal came from the scrap box--smallest ladies watch I could find.

Thoughts??

2021-03-27 09_40_40-Photos.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

An acrylic watch crystal could be the cup.

What about a glass watch crystal? I know they come in really small sizes. I have an aversion to plastic for oil cups. You never know how the oils, react with the plastic and when you stick your Oiler in there's the chance of touching the plastic and generating plastic dust in your oil.

I wonder if you could find a watch case that has a removable bezel+crystal to use as the lid.  Cut down the bezel gasket, or lip if no gasket, so it's not a press fit anymore.  Then you could see the oil inside with the lid on and it would look more like a watch.

A small double dome glass crystal is just a buck or two, but I think you lose points if it's not entirely made from scrap parts.

16 hours ago, xyzzy said:

I wonder if you could find a watch case that has a removable bezel+crystal to use as the lid.  Cut down the bezel gasket, or lip if no gasket, so it's not a press fit anymore.  Then you could see the oil inside with the lid on and it would look more like a watch.

A small double dome glass crystal is just a buck or two, but I think you lose points if it's not entirely made from scrap parts.

LOL...gonna have to work on it ?

38 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

After all said and done...I really want this.  Why?  It is beautiful.  The cups are ruby.  Will it make a difference to an amateur like me?  No.

Worth to mention that in this case the bling factor comes to the tune of GBP 315 + 20% VAT.  But if one can live with unpolished item then the cost be just USD 30

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001405391784.html

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Worth to mention that in this case the bling factor comes to the tune of GBP 315 + 20% VAT.  But if one can live with unpolished item then the cost be just USD 30

Does it come in a pretty a Yellow colored box like the other one if not it's crap.

Do we know what the oil cups are made out of? In others glass very acceptable plastic not acceptable

Then there's this one it's shiny has oil cups that look like they're made out of stone but I'm sure there glass which would be fine plus there really cheap

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Cup-Stand-with-4-Containers-Tool-For-Watchmaker-Watch-Repair-Tool-US/293913922938?hash=item446ea28d7a:g:4ukAAOSwd2deFYyu

Sad the time we live in now? Not finding what I like? Originally made out of wood originally they would have had Agate Later ones were glass. Then the last ones I saw plastic covers with wooden bases and of course glass. I've attached a photograph. The reason I like these are you can physically move them close you can see what you're doing when you dip your oil are in. I do see that expensive Swiss company has colored plastic ones with possibly class inside at astronomically huge prices there seems be no in between no inexpensive single oil cups unless the plastic.

Then in case you destroy your Agate Cups they have replacements? I don't quite understand the pricing though why ceramic cost more than Agate?

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/oil-reservoirs

oil cup old-fashioned type for old people.JPG

31 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

I do see that expensive Swiss company has colored plastic ones with possibly class inside at astronomically huge prices there seems be no in between no inexpensive single oil cups unless the plastic.

Then in case you destroy your Agate Cups they have replacements? I don't quite understand the pricing though why ceramic cost more than Agate?

I have stopped trying to make sense of Swiss tools prices, and for the most part stopped buying them altogether. I just want the work done and if the Indian or Chinese item does it, that's what I'm buying.