Hallo everyone,

I just want to say Wow! You people are super. I also em an avid subscriber of Mark's YT channel.

A few (promise ) words about me. I'm 38, recently got into watches, and as I like to tinker with things and quite handy( if I can say so myselph)  I wanted to make some modiffications to the watches I bought and try to also regulate them. Problem is that I always start confident with no matter what, but with some things, after finishing I seem to be left with some screws or washers, and worst of all, things seem to still function ...

This is enough for starters. Here's my first project: a cheep Vostok Amphibia with new basel and new seconds hand and minute and hour hand relumed.The seconds was a pain as I tried 5 different shades of red untill I was finally satisfied

It is nice to be here.

Radu

post-888-0-35918400-1428427924_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums!

I always love to a see a Russian timepiece, I want one in my collection, I like Russian things, literature, movies, why not watches?

I like the classic "Where did that screw come from and why isn't its absence causing a problem" conundrum, I think we've all been there, it's uniquely unsettling. You get less likely to find yourself in that situation as you get more practiced. 

Nice job on the hands, Though I think I would have done the hour hand as well just to keep the color and tone perfectly uniform, I must admit I've never tried actually painting hands before, it turned out nicely.

Edited by Ishima

Thanks for the welcoming guys,

Ishima, it's dependable and has some nice features to the case -an interesting case back for keeping it wr. The casebook itself slides in and is secured by a threaded ring that pushes it on the gasket , so no shearing forces to the gasket - quite ingenious I think. Keeps good time too . It's a 18900 BPH movement, and with some tinkering I got it to run in the +7 sec per day. and after all the fiddling it's still water resistant 

Ah, and about reluming aboth the hands,

You're right Ishima, but I tried to make them glow with the same intensity -the hour hand had a lot more lume and was distracting, although the lume isn't the best by any means- so I went for the minute, and the colour I have came out this way

after finishing I seem to be left with some screws or washers, and worst of all, things seem to still function

classic "Where did that screw come from and why isn't its absence causing a problem" conundrum

Welcome to the forum Radu! and yes, it happens...I just use those as spare and hope it is then 2 or more movements working with the parts of the first! :)

Please, keep us up todate with your mods, this one came out fantastic. I like the red you ended up using, very much! Any particular way to identify that shade of color?

Cheers,

Bob

Welcome, and a nice watch job! I've got a couple of Russian watches - they're good, solid, rugged well-made pieces and cost very little money. They make a lot of interesting dial designs - well worth keeping an eye on.

Will

I've been looking at Russian watches on e-bay and the vast majority have this case back design you mention, Previously i had only seen it on bulova accutron tuning fork watches.

I agree it's a great design, I wonder if watch manufacturers tested this at length and found it to be worse for water resistance despite the obvious theoretical advantages, or if it was an intellectual property issue, or if it just didn't 'catch on'

If anyone knows the term for these case backs let me know.  

Edited by Ishima

Hi Radu!

I never cease to be amazed at how many variations there are on the basic case, dial and hands of a watch. Yours is a great looking watch and I think that more than one of us here will be looking at Russian watches with a fresh gleam in our eyes.