Legarm

Cleaning Solutions, UltraSonic and not

I've cleaned quite balances ultrasonically over the years without any problem. If in doubt, try it on an old movement first to see how you get on. The only thing I will not ultrasonically clean I'd the dial. I tried it early on and it destroyed the finish.

Edited by Geo

Mark re-attaches the balance to the plate prior to cleaning in his videos, and the manually cleans the jewels after. Whipping around a liquid bath seems more violent and sitting stationary in an ultrasonic cleaner so I'd assume it's safe.

Mark re-attaches the balance to the plate prior to cleaning in his videos, and the manually cleans the jewels after. Whipping around a liquid bath seems more violent and sitting stationary in an ultrasonic cleaner so I'd assume it's safe.

Mmmmmmm, sloshing about may be Ok, I'm concerned that 22Mhz may mess with the hair spring..............

I have been collecting the tiny little Wilkin and Sons jam jars you get in some cafés, I can fit 3 in my ultrasonic cleaner and it means I can have a different fluid in each one if I wish. 

The brass fine mesh balls are useful sometimes as well for the really small bits. 

Like Bob and George I clean just about everything bar the dial and pointers.  The only thing I would say is dont use any solvent cleaner type substance that could dissolve the shellac/glue holding the jewels in place.

Since seeing Mark do it, I have started putting the balance back on the plate and it seems to be perfectly ok that way, it does not take long plus the plate gets a clean as well.

Cheers,

Vic

I clean all my balances in the ultrasonic and have had no problems, however I have learnt to be a bit more careful with the Pallets as the cleaning solution can get a bit warm if used for an extended time period ( I personally can use it quite a lot in a one session) and sometimes Pallet jewels can come loose due to the shellac/ adhesive softening because of the increase in temperature within the cleaning solution...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in the process of making my own experimental ultrasonic cleaning apparatus. One thing I'm not sure of is; how long do you run it for when loaded? Can someone give me an idea of ultrasonic cleaning and rinsing times please? Do the 2 rinses need to be agitated also?

thanks.

Tim

I give them about 9 - 10 min and sometimes if the part is too dirty an extra 3 min. My machine only do 3 min at a time, so I press the button 3 times...but sometimes I loose count so I've probably done 4 times 3 min....Never had a problem. It doesn't agitate apart from the ripple proper of the ultrasonic.

I'll be interested in this project too!

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by bobm12

Yes I put plain water in the reservoir and it works well. I am just working on a small scale so the small Jam jars are fine for me using Naptha (good grade lighter fuel with no added ingredients) and finish with pure isopropanol.

I sometimes use Horosolv for bad cases and that is basically Benzene based.  Don't forget to keep the pallet jewels away from the strong stuff as previously mentioned. 

You can use other cleaners of course - one test to check them is to leave a drop of cleaner on an old mirror or piece of glass and check after evaporation that there is little or no residue

Cheers,

Vic

Hi All,

Can anyone please assist with what ultrasonic cleaning solutions are available in Australia, what are some of the better solutions, if rinse solutions are also required and where I can obtain these solutions in Australia.

Also if anyone can advise if Zenith Radiant product 777 is available in Australia and where.

I am relatively new to all this and must be some kind of a Muppet as I have searched the internet high and low and still as confused as I was when I started.

Would greatly appreciate any advise anyone can give.

Thanks

Phil

Hi guys, I've been absent of late due to decorating to keep the wife happy. But I'd like to discuss a conversation I had with a friend who is the technical manager for a leading Swiss watch manufacturer. I asked him what he felt was the best degreaser to buy at present. He said" without question & nothing can compare, isopropanol which is available from the chemist. I was surprised to hear that they also use it in the final rinse pot during cleaning". He said you can't leave the lid off as it evaporates. He said it's ideal for the last rinse because of this fact.

Has anybody else used this product. I've just order 5ltr off amazon for £15,so pretty cheap.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hello!

I wash the parts in neophaline (benzine) but after that the parts sometimes have a thin layer of grease on them. For that I use isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol).

But be very careful - the alcohol dissolves the shellac so don't use it on the pallets and the balance wheel.

Bogdan

Hello!

I wash the parts in neophaline (benzine) but after that the parts sometimes have a thin layer of grease on them. For that I use isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol).

But be very careful - the alcohol dissolves the shellac so don't use it on the pallets and the balance wheel.

Bogdan

Glad you told me that, I was going to drop the whole balance assembly in to degrease the hairspring.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I too use it as a final rinse when using water based cleaners in my ultrasonic cleaner, not for it's de-greasing qualities, but being alcohol it absorbs any residual moisture and aids drying.

Heed Bogdan's advice and never put anything with shellac in alcohol.