Be very careful if you have any chapter rings or printed crystals. Like the Seiko  diver and the Omega Mark II . Certainly a lot of other watch cases also. 

Have damaged both of this. And an Omega LCD watch  crystal with printed on the back crystal? 

It's not always they could be Ultrasonic cleaned? I usually clean the cases by hand If they aren't very dirty? Pegwood and Topz do magic. 

For case and bracelet, as above I use washing up liquid in small quantity diluted in warm water in the ultrasonic cleaner.

isopropanol will not hurt steel, but I would avoid using it in the ultrasonic cleaner due to flammability and volatility

4 hours ago, rodabod said:

Alcohol works as a solvent and also dries faster than water

You are absolutely right, rod, I always have to order a second alcoholic drink...while I never do when it is of water. :D

No, seriously, alcohol and plastic are usually bad news...plastic may become brittle and break...that's probably the fogging you are talking about.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. I have a shop where we do mostly batteries and straps, and basic repairs, glasses, crowns, etc. I do not do mechanical repairs mostly, as I just lack the knowledge, and have found it hard to get proper training, though I must say the youtube channel gives great advice.

When we do quartz, we usually just do a movement, or circuit swap rather than a clean and oil job.

On this occasion however, I have a watch with an eta movement, and I want to see if I can service it, and get it running again (it keeps stopping). I dont mind if I fail, I can simply buy a new movement for it as the customer is happy to pay 100 quid or so, so I thought I would use the xmas break to see if I can learn something new and get this watch cleaned and working.

I do not wish to put thousands into a watch cleaning machine, I am unsure if I would get my money back for it.

I am thinking about using an ultrasonic to clean it, and then try to oil it.

I am sure that I have read on here that people do use these machines, with some chemicals to do this successfully, but I cannot seem to locate the thread/s now.

Would anyone who has done this please advice on what I should buy, what chemicals, and what oil?

I would appreciate it.

If there are any people in the Herts/north london area who can service mechanical watches (strip clean oil), and would like to teach me in person, for money, then please let me know.

• Like 1

You need to redefine your question? I see you are asking three separate questions. First how do you clean a watch? Second how do you lubricate the watch? Third how do you properly service a watch and cleaning is only one step of servicing?

The problem with all three questions they don't have simple answers. But you've come to the right place poke around this website and all the answers are there and if not redefine your question and you'll get an answer.

So I'm going to redefine all your questions we really should start a new thread though. So your question is I have a watch mechanical that is stopping how should I proceed?

The direction in which everyone proceeds in on this group very likely is different based on their different experiences. But a good starting point would be exactly which eta caliber is this and define stopping? So to help you out but the stopping part Does it stop occasionally totally randomly or you wind it up it runs a little bit then stops?

By ultrasonic cleaner I think you mean the ones used to clean jewelry, one big tank? The watch cleaning machines are also ultrasonic..but with added features to help watchsmiths.

Basically an ultrasonic cleaner helps to remove the build-up of old oils and grease in mechanical watches. A quartz watch should not have a lot of oil as the oils used are very light. Cleaning in a cup of lighter fluid and pegging out the holes to make sure they're clean should be ok. There are a lot of plastic parts and electronic stuff.. these do not get soaked in chemicals,, I usually roll them in 'fresh' rodico to get them clean. There is a magnetized rotor.. this does not go in the fluid as it will attract metal particles. This get cleaned in Rodico as well.

If you do want to use a 'non-watchmaking' ultrasonic it is doable, you need to put the parts in a small container containing watch-cleaning solution and submerge the container in the water in the ultrasonic cleaner. I 'think' lighter fluid is ok here but as the cleaner does generate some heat I would not recommend this.

Buts...

1. The quartz movement is very fragile...especially the coil and circuit block. Be very careful. Coffee helps (for me), beer not so much.

2. Identify the problem first.. if its a bad coil or circuit then a new movement is the only cost-effective solution. Since you mention that you do circuits swaps I imagine that you have verified that the coil and circuit are ok.

3. Handle the parts with care..more so than with mechanical watchs as the gears are very fine and easily damaged.

4. Make sure you post some photos here to show us how it goes.

All the best!

Anilv

• Like 1

I find quartz are usually not worth the time repairing unless it's some rarer obsolete models. 

My preferred method for a one with dry, gummed-up oils is to bath the complete movement minus circuit in naphtha in the ultrasonic. 

How long did you leave it in the cleaning fluid? I was just now looking at their PDF not seeing what I was expecting to see. I've experienced with ammonia-based cleaners if you leave it too long it will remove the copper from the brass the solution turns blue the brass gets a kind of frosty look to it. But this is usually when you go way past the acceptable cleaning time.

http://www.elma-ultrasonic.com/fileadmin/downloads/CleaningAgents/ProductInformation/GB/P_wf pro_GB.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

So I purchase 2 bottles of Anchor Hairspring Cleaning solution and I am curious on how to use this stuff. Do you remove the hairspring? Seems to have a cup like plus on the top of the bottle. I usually use lighter fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You don't have to remove the hairspring from the balance wheel/balance cock assembly...you can simply place entire assembly into the hairspring cleaning solution.

J

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

So do I pour some solution into a cup or what. The bottles are only 20ml

YEs exactly. I pour some into a small glass jar of about 100ml capacity and keep it tight covered. The solution does have a rapid evaporation rate, but if you cover tightly, it will prevent it from drying up too quickly and you can reuse it.

JC

• Like 1

YEs exactly. I pour some into a small glass jar of about 100ml capacity and keep it tight covered. The solution does have a rapid evaporation rate, but if you cover tightly, it will prevent it from drying up too quickly and you can reuse it.

JC

Got it, thanks.

1 minute ago, jdrichard said:

Got it, thanks.

My response was really written with larger quantities in mind. I realized the 20mL size you are asking about is a very small amount. You might want to consider buying One Dip 2oz or 8oz bottles. I would still use a wide mouthed  glass jar and to place the balance with hairspring inside and then drip the solution onto it.

J

• Like 2

My response was really written with larger quantities in mind. I realized the 20mL size you are asking about is a very small amount. You might want to consider buying One Dip 2oz or 8oz bottles. I would still use a wide mouthed  glass jar and to place the balance with hairspring inside and then drip the solution onto it.

J

That's why I bought 2 bottles. Sale:)

I also bought a small bottle to clean the hairsprings on Hamilton Electric watch balances . The balance also has a coil attached that i wouldn't want to submerge in any cleaning solution , so I use a glass eyedropper to place the solution only on the hairspring and use a delicate ladies cosmetic brush to clean the spring and my blower to dry it. I'll repeat a few times .

Seems to work , just use a light touch .

• Like 1

I also bought a small bottle to clean the hairsprings on Hamilton Electric watch balances . The balance also has a coil attached that i wouldn't want to submerge in any cleaning solution , so I use a glass eyedropper to place the solution only on the hairspring and use a delicate ladies cosmetic brush to clean the spring and my blower to dry it. I'll repeat a few times .

Great advise. Now I have to go to the makeup section at Walmart:)

You remove the hairspring first correct?