• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a simple question but I'm new so I don't know much.

I am about to use for the first time an old style L&Road variomatic cleaner. I have been trying to read up on what type cleaning solution and what rinse to use. It seems most of them are advertised as used with ultrasonic cleaners, I don't know if that will also work properly in an older style machine.

Could someone advise me on what is the proper solution and rinse to use for my machine please ?

Thank you, Tom

Hi all

I use an ultrasonic cleaner with greiner cleaning solution, followed by a 2 stage rinse with Isopropanol

it does a great job at cleaning, but once the parts have driedĀ my method leaves very light marks / blemishes. For info, after rinsing I just let the parts dry under a cover of some sort (glass or jar).Ā 

See my pics below, although it is not that obvious on the pics

ShouldĀ I be getting better result (cosmetically?)

I am not sure what causes these marks,Ā would I avoid them by heating / drying the parts quickly? (E.g. Using a hair dryer or similar).Ā Photo%2021-09-2016,%2022%2029%2052.jpg?dPhoto%2021-09-2016,%2022%2029%2030.jpg?d

thank you very much in advance

Ā 

Hi Oli, I don't have a lot of experience on cleaning parts using your method but I certainly would not allow my parts to "drip dry" the way you currently are, I for sure would hit them with hot air from the dryer and see what happens, can only see it being an improvement.

WouldĀ be interested to know how you get on, please keep me informed!

Brian

Thank you very much gents. I will try using a blower first,Ā it sounds like that could wellĀ resolve my issue!

i will let uou know how I get on next week, I am planning to strip a 7S26 I just got from ebay.

thank you very much

Edited by oli

Hi guys,

Another question from a newbie: I have a rotating cleaning machine with three jars. In the first jar I have Sambol Platina 1:20, in the second jar Elma reinigungskonzentrat 1:9 for rinsing and in the third jar sterilized water. Thereafter the basket goes in the heater chamber.

My issue for now is that the first jar completely foams up. The jar is 3/5 full with the solvent but becomes completely foamed up. Is this a problem with the solvent or is it not actually a problem? I got this solvent from watch-tool.de

Stian

Hi all

i have tried heating the parts withba hairdryer after my 2nd rinse, and I am pleased to report that the results were great, no residue! The wife will be looking for her hairdryer now!

thank you all for your responses and advice

Edited by oli
  • Like 3

I have recently acquiredĀ some vintage Vostoks, andĀ my dads old Seiko. All have stainless steel cases.

I want to clean the cases (disassembled of course) in my ultrasonic cleaner. I am not able to get my hands on any of those professional cleaning soutions like L&RĀ because of restrictions. Is there any good alternatives I can use? Is isopropanol a good option as a final rinse?

Thank you.

Washing up liquid is usually fine. A warm temperature (say 40c) can help. Don't run your ultrasonic for extended periods like over 10 mins without giving it a break to cool down as they can fail for thisĀ reason.

For cases, I usually find that hot tap water works fine as a rinse.

• Like 2

Absolutely, warm water, dish detergent and a good brushing are more than enough forĀ cases and bracelets. I'm into this theory even more now that I blown my U/S cleaner (never run it more than 10 minutes).Ā Ā 

• Like 2

Thanks. I want the cases to be really clean. Isopropanol can't hurt, can it?

My ultrasonic cleaner has a cooling fan and heat protection thatĀ shuts it down if its gets too hot. It can be set to a 30 min cleaning cycle and hasĀ a heating element. Is it notĀ reasonable to believe it can handle more than 10 minutes?

22 hours ago, Halvis said:

Thanks. I want the cases to be really clean. Isopropanol can't hurt, can it?

My ultrasonic cleaner has a cooling fan and heat protection thatĀ shuts it down if its gets too hot. It can be set to a 30 min cleaning cycle and hasĀ a heating element. Is it notĀ reasonable to believe it can handle more than 10 minutes?

As mentioned before I've found that warm water and dish soap is theĀ most effective for the type of dirt found on case and bracelets. But I that guess one can use anything else too.

• Like 1