Case worth more than movement

An aquatance asked me to have a look at his milgauss, this is what I found. The case is heavy and all parts feel and look correct ref no 116400gv green crystal.Has the Rolex emblem etched on the crystal. The bracelet has correct screw pins, the caseback is solid and feels smooth when unscrewing. Then I phoned him to tell the good news. And he informed me he paid 100 dollars. The case is worth more than the movement. 

IMG_20210319_163541.jpg

IMG_20210319_163525.jpg

IMG_20210319_163405.jpg

IMG_20210319_163330.jpg

IMG_20210319_163304.jpg

IMG_20210319_163014.jpg

IMG_20210319_162920.jpg

This is a strange marriage of a watch the movement is not a Rolex but strangely the case might . Look at the Crystal with a LED light and by the 6 there will be a Holograph of the Rolex crown. If it has it is almost certainly genuine. 

34 minutes ago, clockboy said:

This is a strange marriage of a watch the movement is not a Rolex but strangely the case might . Look at the Crystal with a LED light and by the 6 there will be a Holograph of the Rolex crown. If it has it is almost certainly genuine. 

Hi clockboy, zoom in on the 3rd picture you will find the Rolex hologram there at 6 o'clock. 

I very much doubt that the case is anything other than fake, why would anyone take a genuine case and fit a cheap nasty auto movement in it, the clues are there anyway the case is stamped 18k and the strap is stamped steelinox could it be that someone has fitted a genuine steel strap to a genuine 18k case? very much doubt it, the Chinese knockoffs have been etching crystals as soon as the genuine ones hit the shops.

It is a Chinese fake

I agree the case is fake being stamped 18K and yes the Chinese laser etch the crystals too.

This is not one but the Chinese do make fake watches of quality nearly as good as the Rolex which always amazes me why they don't just make their own brand of that quality.

Yes at first it still would only sell for 1/4 to 1/3 of a Rolex but once it establishes its own brand identity they could increase the price and be sold in all high street shops, not just the 'black market' and the volume of sales would make it worth their while.

The problem the Chinese have always had is maintaining quality, they can produce some very good stuff but always let themselves down with consistency, pretty much the same as the Russians, it must be a communist trait.

7 hours ago, Graziano said:

Hi clockboy, zoom in on the 3rd picture you will find the Rolex hologram there at 6 o'clock. 

OK it’s a fake. The hologram on a genuine Rolex is not visible unless it is under a strong LED light and even then it is well hidden.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/19/2021 at 2:35 PM, wls1971 said:

it must be a communist trait.

Yep, but the biggest mystery of all is that some many fall for that ideology which hasn't helped improve personal freedom and democracy one bit. I guess communists don't care much for personal freedom and democracy, huh? 😆

And yes, as fake as anything can be!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content