Stuck screw advice

goonz

Good evening new member here. I recently picked up a Omega Speedmaster 176.0014 TV Dial. The bracelet is held on by screwpin which appears to be fused to the case. Is there anyway to remove these so I can clean the bracelet and refit?

The screws are recessed into the link.

Many thanks

photo_2021-03-17_17-38-33.jpg

It might look like a screw but far more likely it's the end of a split pin. Look from the other side ... is it smooth? Whilst you could push it out with a thin piece of metal (e.g. a paperclip) it's best to use a proper tool. They're pretty inexpensive; look on ebay for 'watch bracelet pin remover'.

image.png.4d5f1a14dd1393559517cadc49d252de.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi thanks for the speedy response. I should have shown pics of the other side too! There are no holes on the other side and having checked Omega part number I have found the screws that are used. The case has a tube attached and the bracelet link sits around it and the screw threads through and threads into the end with the screw attached.

Have tried hitting it with some oil will leave overnight, but I dont quite have the perfect screwdriver. Need to file down the end to make it a tad thicker to seat in the hole better.

Would you know whether Omega used locktite in the 70's?

photo_2021-03-19_00-03-35.jpg

photo_2021-03-19_00-03-38.jpg

8417655d_xxl.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Ah - that's interesting then. The small diameter and recessed nature of the offending part from your original picture made it look just like a split pin! And when I've seen screw links they're usually larger with screws from both sides.

You've done the right thing soaking with some oil. And you should use a good quality screw driver / blade; it'll be a nightmare if you damage the head.

Of course there is the question of removal in the first place. If this is just an exercise to give a general clean up then micro cleaning buds or pegwood to get in nooks-and-crannies may suffice.

Thanks I’ve already seen that post and pretty much every post online about the 176.0014 hah. I did a few weeks worth of research before even pulling the trigger. 
I messaged that guy but he’s had pins in ask he stripped it fully so couldn’t even remember much about it. 

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:
13 minutes ago, WatchMaker said:

Ah - that's interesting then. The small diameter and recessed nature of the offending part from your original picture made it look just like a split pin! And when I've seen screw links they're usually larger with screws from both sides.

You've done the right thing soaking with some oil. And you should use a good quality screw driver / blade; it'll be a nightmare if you damage the head.

Of course there is the question of removal in the first place. If this is just an exercise to give a general clean up then micro cleaning buds or pegwood to get in nooks-and-crannies may suffice.

Yes I think it’s best to leave it but it’s one of those things once it’s in my head I gotta do it. The bracelet is on the wrong way so the clasp opens with my finger rather than my thumb and it’s annoying the hell out of me. Plus I know once I get it loose I can replace screws and then would be better condition. But I’ll probably leave it for a watchmaker when it goes in for service. The screws are so close to the case that I can’t even hang the watch in oil or apply too much heat as could damage the watch. Need someone to remove everything and chuck the entire case in a while ultrasonic cleaner. Perhaps that would help?

Edited by goonz

• 1 year later...

I've had some luck with Penetrating Oil, just apply and let it do its magic. Obviously you need to apply a very small amount and be careful not to get it anywhere it shouldn't be, but this stuff is made for loosening unloosen-able screws/nuts etc. It may take a few rounds to get the result you want.

Penetrating Oil .jpg