Chunky golden nugget

Good evening,

I thought I'd share my latest achievement. I'd been building up courage to take on a day/date watch after my previous success with an automatic. This unloved golden nugget came to me as a non runner and fairly grubby.  With one of those Russian Slava 2428 movements with the double spring barrel arrangement.

Thanks to my cheap ultrasonic cleaner and the great advice I received on the forum to safely polish it. It buffed up a treat. Sadly the innards had suffered from an excess of oil, which had damaged the balance spring, and the day wheel, where the painted finish has started to lift off. It also affected a small area of the dial. Though everything else was well preserved in the oil and gunk. In my short time tinkering, is this a common problem others come across?

I found the trickiest part was the shock jewel springs. After setting time aside to only tackle these on an evening and nothing more. I managed to get them back on with a combination of tweezers and a sharpened toothpick. I had a hell of a time with even the finest pointed tweezers.

The problem is I'm not brave enough to wear it out of the house. It's too extravagant for me, I may view it differently when I get round to finding a better strap than the cheap canvas one its sporting.

Chunky_golden_Russian.jpg

Damaged_day_wheel.jpg

Chunky_golden_Russian2.jpg

• Like 1

Lol! I can relate. The first watch I successfully rescued (though technically I still need to order a stem and crown) is a big 70s gold bling bomb with a green dial. I have been calling it the "leprechaun pimp" watch. It's hideous, but after all that work and finally succeeding... It's really just too hideous.

Thanks Spectre, I'd love to see the "leprechaun pimp" watch if you've a photo by way of a comparison. Unless it's too hideous its an offence to watchdom! Despite the looks of my "golden nugget" I'm pleased nonetheless with my success. Out of all the watches I've tinkered with this one by far keeps the best time. 

I'll have to wear it in secret, unless there's a 1970's fashion revival at which point I'll fit right in. 

Love the green dial, with those white hands it's got a minty thing going on. It's begging for one of those gold elasticated straps.

When you finish it, wear it with pride, possibly when no ones looking. Still building up courage to wear my one. Certainly a conversation piece. ?

• 7 months later...
On 3/18/2021 at 8:33 PM, Bearman said:

Good evening,

I thought I'd share my latest achievement. I'd been building up courage to take on a day/date watch after my previous success with an automatic. This unloved golden nugget came to me as a non runner and fairly grubby.  With one of those Russian Slava 2428 movements with the double spring barrel arrangement.

Thanks to my cheap ultrasonic cleaner and the great advice I received on the forum to safely polish it. It buffed up a treat. Sadly the innards had suffered from an excess of oil, which had damaged the balance spring, and the day wheel, where the painted finish has started to lift off. It also affected a small area of the dial. Though everything else was well preserved in the oil and gunk. In my short time tinkering, is this a common problem others come across?

I found the trickiest part was the shock jewel springs. After setting time aside to only tackle these on an evening and nothing more. I managed to get them back on with a combination of tweezers and a sharpened toothpick. I had a hell of a time with even the finest pointed tweezers.

The problem is I'm not brave enough to wear it out of the house. It's too extravagant for me, I may view it differently when I get round to finding a better strap than the cheap canvas one its sporting.

Chunky_golden_Russian.jpg

Damaged_day_wheel.jpg

Chunky_golden_Russian2.jpg

That is a Golden nugget!

Nice job.  definitly need to source a nice retro gold plated strap for it.

I'm interested in hearing about the cheap ultrasonic cleaner, as i do need to get one and should be able to justify the investment if its a cheap one. I can tell my wife i've purchased it to clean hers and my daughters jewelry. 😁

Thanks both, I've been thinking about a strap for a while now. Not a fan of those hair pinching elasticated ones from the era. Out of all the watches I've tinkered with over the last year or so it keeps the best time bar far.

Stretch, that's the exact same reason I used to justify my cleaner! It certainly made things that bit easier. Mine came from ebay around £30, I made sure it was mains powered with an adjustable timer. Used it loads with tiny jam jars containing the parts and cleaning fluid.

I've a number of other Sekondas which I've brought back to life, all with that 70s vibe. I'll have to get round to showcasing them....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bearman, There are far too many cleaners to choose from, bit of a minefield for picking a rubbish one.  Any chance you can let me know the make and model of your ultrasonic cleaner, as i'd rather go with one that i know someone is using.

cheers