Old Medana...eratic timekeeper!

I guess I was hoping for a simple fix, but you guys are all over this which is brilliant, but it's making me worried that I'll end up with an ornament that doesn't even tick!!

I'm tempted to adjust it for one position and walk around with my arm in the air all day!!

4 minutes ago, RichParker said:

Ok, So my last post was incorrect.

I had best leave it then.

The wheel is a bit wonky isn't it! Maybe it's out of balance? This is all way beyond me and my capabilities tbh.

Not if you have the right tool. 

I would tend to leave well enough alone. Putting a cylinder balance wheel in a truing caliper you going to have issues. If you break the cylinder it's going to be really fun to try to replace that and fun really isn't quite the right word. That's a cast balance wheel it wasn't machined. It probably had some machining but? I was trying to avoid this this is not a real high quality watch if the hands move and keeps time within minutes per day you should be happy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

I would tend to leave well enough alone. Putting a cylinder balance wheel in a truing caliper you going to have issues. If you break the cylinder it's going to be really fun to try to replace that and fun really isn't quite the right word. That's a cast balance wheel it wasn't machined. It probably had some machining but? I was trying to avoid this this is not a real high quality watch if the hands move and keeps time within minutes per day you should be happy.

Thanks John, I guess I know my level of 'expertise' and limitations, so I think you're spot on.....I will leave well alone and accept a few minutes. And you're right also in that it doesn't look great quality in truth, so I shouldn't expect too much, especially with its undoubted age and wear.

Cheers guys, great to get your thoughts and to tap into that knowledge. One thing I've learned since I started dabbling and tinkering......this little corner of the world is colossal!!!

I would certainly agree with JohnR regarding the regulator. I have seen these single pin regulators before but only on old cylinder movements, the spring rests on the pin and effectivly shortens/lengthens the spring when the regulator is moved as far as I remember it doesn't  beat  between the pins.

42 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

I have seen these single pin regulators before but only on old cylinder movements

This is a more common design than you may think.

Taken from the Timex service manual....

Inked20210319_115149_LI.thumb.jpg.4b61f1074e8cb4e93f83550ba630e1a5.jpg

Edited by Marc
typo