Another idiot.

oldhippy

Many were fitted with strike works. Here is a extremely good rear with it's original movement.  The early ones were fitted with the verge escapement, many have been converted to the Anchor type.  If you look carefully you can see if it has been converted by the old screw holes that have been left, in some the holes have been filled in. Also converted from chain to rope, the holes the chains pass through get worn over time and are not that round as with rope they stay round.   

https://www.periodoakantiques.co.uk/antique-clocks/a-rare-17th-century-brass-lantern-clock-by-jonas-barber-ratcliffecross-london-circa-1690-32-stockno-1200/

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 2:44 AM, HectorLooi said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124685278921

Have a look and tell me what you think of this clock.

So many things don't look right with it.  I wonder if this is a cheap "facsimile" of a lantern clock.  The way it's put together, and the primitive way the parts look, it doesn't seem as old as it should be either.  But, admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about lantern clocks.

6 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I wonder if this is a cheap "facsimile" of a lantern clock. 

One of the things that bothered me was the shipping cost? Small clock made out of a lot of brass seems like the shipping cost should've been higher. Although that nifty light weight quartz movement does cancel out to make a lot lighter but still seems like the shipping costs should be higher.

I swear I am way more careful, gentle and try to copy everything I see from professionals. This person may have years of experience yet extremely rough on everything :(. I don’t understand if he’s lucky or truly experienced and knows what he’s doing but in the end he fixes somehow. Maybe it’s me thinking wrong but until now, I saw all the true pros were very careful with customer’s stuff. It hurt me when he hammered the cuckoo clock’s whistle.

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

One of the things that bothered me was the shipping cost? Small clock made out of a lot of brass seems like the shipping cost should've been higher. Although that nifty light weight quartz movement does cancel out to make a lot lighter but still seems like the shipping costs should be higher.

It's a complete waste of money. Anyone who knows about clocks wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.  

• Like 1

I came across another controversial video. Here we see a clock movement (fully assembled), being dunked into an ultrasonic cleaner. 

I was trained by dental instrument manufacturers to never submerge a fully assembled, or even partially assembled equipment into an ultrasonic cleaner. The ultrasonic vibrations would cause parts to vibrate against one another and cause surface wear. This is especially true for ball bearings. The tiny balls would vibrate so violently until they make depressions in the bearing raceways. After that, the mirror smooth raceways would have giant potholes  in them. And if you've ever heard what a damaged dentist's drill sounds like (a banshee), you'll learn never to put a drill into the ultrasound. 

So what fo you think about putting a fully assembled clock into the ultrasound? 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Antique clock movements should never be cleaned by ultrasonic. 

I agree. I learnt that the hard way. Recently I cleaned some clock parts in an ultrasonic cleaner using a home brewed ammoniated cleaner. It brightened the brass very nicely but some spots had a matte finish. I think the ultrasonic created some cavitation damage in the brass.

40 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

ammoniated cleaner.

ammonia-based cleaning fluids in horology do a really nice job of brightening up watch plates for instance. but usually for the watch cleaning fluids just a few minutes in the cleaner will do the job anything longer and you start to dissolve the brass. So a little is okay and too long or too much or too strong is very very bad.

Then if you Google cleaning of brass with ammonia aided cleaners you'll find the general view is it's very bad. They can cause all kinds of corrosion problems stress fractures in in general it's considered a very bad thing to do..

• Thanks 1

Polishing clock plates you should use Brasso and thoroughly wash in petrol, dry in sawdust and polish with French chalk. I have had this discussion many times, some members say brasso is an abrasive, my answer to that it is not, there are a lot more polish agents that do harm than brasso, it comes in a liquid form. You can also use it with the finest wire wool which I think is 0000 gauge or a soft polishing brush.

Modern clocks such as the westminster chimes and such movements I used Horolene clock cleaner. Use in a well ventilated place as it takes your breath away as it has ammonia in it. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Antique clock movements should never be cleaned by ultrasonic. 

I'm extremely nervous of ever cleaning even the parts of an antique pocket watch movement in one of these.  For this reason, I do not yet own an ultrasonic, and have put off getting one.  I think it would be just fine for cleaning modern watch movements, as the parts would seem more robust, less worn and fatigued, with better metallurgy.  But I cannot yet bring myself to contemplate sticking any antique parts into one.