Another idiot.

oldhippy

I couldn't watch it all, it was too painful.

Shook the watch out of it's case.

Used to flat bladed screwdrivers to remove the hands. (But atleast he protected the dial....)

Used a magnetic screwdriver to unscrew the screws.

I have chopsticks that are finer than the tweezers he was using.

But I did like his enthusiasm.

Exactly my point. There are plenty of idiots out there on YouTube. Whether it's watch repair, cooking, health advice or the worst medical advice. You always have to check the source and check out several similar videos to see if they are all saying the same thing. And always use common sense.

BTW did you guys watch BBC Foods video on egg fried rice? It's hilarious. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well It might have been an old cheapie but it deserved more respect, how he has still got all his fingers and toes Is beyond me.  His repairing worn holes is a disgrace. However cheap the clock its no excuse to close them up like that.  Enough grime on the hands to stop a dozen clocks

"I know this arbor comes out of the mainspring. I just know it does. Where are my bigger pliers?"

" I know what I'll do. I'll just hammer the mainspring into the barrel."

How much stress did he put that central wheel under by forcing the two spring barrels into place?

Ok. Speeding things up makes things look a bit worse, but still. I wouldn't have even put things under that much pressure when I was reassembling centrifugal pumps or ball and rod mill double helical gearboxes. If I had, I would have been dealing with a really angry tradesman.

Oh and to anyone thinking this, 'Pliers are ok for undoing and tightening nuts.' No. No they aren't.

Note to self: Do not watch anymore videos by Mr.Electricity.

About me: Hi. I'm a diesel mechanic who can't afford soap. I also deal in clock repair. Well, I'm calling it repair.

Edited by Michael1962

But you have to admit that this guy knows his way around a clock. It's definitely not his first rodeo.

This is typical of "antique restoration" shops in South East Asia. If you look at his other videos, he repairs stuff other than clocks too. When I first started working, my clinic was situated in an area with many such shops. I spent many hours watching "junk" transformed into "antiques". 

I'm just wondering which part of the world he's in. His written English in his YouTube channel is too good to be China or Hong Kong. I'm suspecting he's from Singapore or Malaysia. 

6 hours ago, Marty said:

Hi all

Would the Ollie Baker Style mainspring winder be beefy enough to remove / fit fusee mainsprings.

How long is a piece of string?

By that I mean yes if you are talking about regular fusee clocks, no if you are talking about giant fusee clocks that used to be in big train stations.

A few months back I was shown a fusee clock under repair that used to be at Fremantle train station in Western Australia.

That one had a barrel that was over 10cm high.

To remove that mainspring they essentially had to make up tools so they could turn their lathe into a large hand operated mainspring winder.

I had something like this it would handle all that came into my workshop and I had many fusee clocks with very large mainsprings. You will need a good bench vice to hold it in. 

I think clockboy has the Ollie Baker one, ask him I'm sure he will help you and tell you all you need to know.

bda0291f9b4eee2162cb48429be46013.jpg

If you look at any of the clock material suppliers, check out fusee springs and look at the measurements that will give you the info. It should be possible to have a spring made for something that is out of the range, mind you it will be expensive. 

Have you ever seen one of those springs for the old wind up gramaphones? they are massive. 

2 hours ago, clockboy said:

I have indeed. There are a few vids on YouTube showing how they work. One issue is my one did not come with the let down winders. 

That is pretty common.

I bought mine without the let down winders and bought them separately off ebay as it saved me about $50 doing it that way.