Pocket Watch Gift

Before I confirm what I think it is. I need to see a good photo of the movement side on, one of the dial a better one of the whole case which I think will be silver, are there any hallmarks in side the back lid of the case? The name on the back plate can you tell me what it is as my eyes are not good these days. I should be able to tell you more if you could do those things for me.

On another note I see this is your first post. We like new members to introduce themselves first before posting questions. Don't worry many do this the wrong way round you are one of many. ? 

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind response.  

The case marking is JH.

The back plate says:  B. Harlow / Macclesfield

I have very little experience working with watches.  A local jeweler opened it for me to photograph the back plate.  I could probably provide you some pictures of the movement if you could provide me a little direction on how to expose it.

Thank you again.  

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

• Like 1

Benjamin Harlow Macclesfield listed in Watch and Clockmakers of the World Vol 2 1834

Your watch was made around the date. That case is silver but the hall marks is so worn you can’t see it. The dial is enamel and it has its original hands. Key wind from the back and hand set by the front.

If you could take a photo of your pocket watch like this. That is what I need.

225px-Lindquist_Fusee_Pocket_Watch_Movement.jpg

• Like 1

That is what I wanted to see. It is a fusse pocket watch which should have a chain,one end should be attached to the fusse which is the cone shape (red arrow) the other end attached to the barrel. It was an invention because it those days it wasn't possible to have the same strength in a mainspring from end to end, with a fusse it was possible to regulate the strength  so the watch would keep better time. There are loads of these pocket watches about made by various makers, the famous makers the watches are very valuable. A well qualified watchmaker should undertake this type of repair if you decide to have it in good working condition.   

IMG_0803.thumb.jpg.8ec4b3ea2d942c95fcbb525c6c428f5f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a guy on YouTube “Richard Perrett” who repairs services high end watches and pocket watches. He has an excellent vid on restoring a fusse pocket watch his tip on how to release the power without breaking the chain is excellent. 
PS I have seen many job lots of fusse chains on eBay.

• Thanks 1