Timex Dynabeat Crystal Replacement

Hello friends,

I’ve got this fun Timex Dynabeat seen in the picture below that I’m trying to remove the crystal on so I can measure for a new one. I’m using my crystal lift and I can get a nice grip on the flat part of the crystal, and I can even rotate the crystal around where it sits (that little chip in the acrylic used to be on the other side of the watch), but it won’t come out!

I’ve tightened the tool to where I can’t tighten it any more without feeling like I’m going to shatter the crystal... I’m not sure what to do.

9B9B4925-E30A-46D8-AAFF-5BB7CF699DB7.jpeg

I think your watch is a front loader. If you can rotate the crystal around, it just takes a little more force to remove it. You need a good crystal lift. The Chinese and Indian made ones won't cut it.

I didn't believe my mentor and got a Chinese crystal lift first. It worked for a couple of times then I noticed that it required more and more force each time. Then I got an Indian made one. It worked a little better but then something inside broke.

Now I have a vintage Vigor crystal lift and what a difference! 

37 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

That is a Timex. It doesn't have a split stem that can be pulled off. A crystal lift is the recommended method. 

Using an air pump (or syringe) has no relationship with the way the stem is removed. It is simply a method to remove a crystal without touching it - literally.

Anyway if the crystal is free enough to rotate I think all it takes is some prying with the tip of a driver at correct angle to pop it off.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Using an air pump (or syringe) has no relationship with the way the stem is removed. It is simply a method to remove a crystal without touching it - literally.

Anyway if the crystal is free enough to rotate I think all it takes is some prying with the tip of a driver at correct angle to pop it off.

I have never blown out a crystal from a Timex before. How do you attach the syringe to the case to do that?

Just now, HectorLooi said:

I have never blown out a crystal from a Timex before. How do you attach the syringe to the case to do that?

With a syringe the problem can be getting a good seal to the pendant tube, in my expereince a piece a plastic may or may not work 

The air pump remover comes with adapters of different sizes and adds the confidence to have the right tool

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000233469611.html

On 3/11/2021 at 1:28 AM, DanteFalcioni said:

I’ve tightened the tool to where I can’t tighten it any more without feeling like I’m going to shatter the crystal.

You definitely should be able to lift the crystal out (provided you have a decent tool) but the way you describe it makes me suspect that the crystal may be fitted with a crystal tension ring which could make it near impossible to lift the crystal out using a crystal lift.

As already mentioned by @watchweasol I think your best bet is to remove the movement and then press the crystal out using your thumb (if possible) or a crystal press if it sits too hard.

Using a syringe may not work unless the case is completely air tight, and with a cracked crystal and a case back gasket that more than likely is in poor condition, I'd say the odds could be better.

Please keep us updated us on your progress!

Edited by VWatchie

From my experience with Timex Dynabeats, the movement has to come out from the front. The caseback is epoxied in. The winding stem is not designed to be pulled out by force. 

With some stubborn crystals, I tighten the crystal lift as much as possible then wedge my thumb between a lug and one of the claws of the crystal lift then push the tool off. It usually comes off.

Somehow after I got a decent crystal lift, I don't have a problem with stubborn crystals anymore. 

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, do you guys find it hard to grip crystal lifts? 

I'm an Asian guy and I don't have huge hands. And I'm already finding it hard to grip the walls of the crystal lift because the just isn't enough room to get both hands on it.

I'm thinking of maybe attaching the accessory handle of an old power drill to the body of the crystal lift so that I can grip it from the side.

What do you guys think?

On 3/12/2021 at 3:24 PM, HectorLooi said:

From my experience with Timex Dynabeats, the movement has to come out from the front. The caseback is epoxied in. The winding stem is not designed to be pulled out by force. 

So how the stem is removed? Of course if the crystal is held by the bezel, or the mov.t can be removed, that is what needs to be done.

Also I wanted to show another alternative to a claw type tool, which is made like a plier, Seiko S-14.

DSC_0082.thumb.JPG.6540d334c1700ea4778aa481a2b3f486.JPG

Although designed to remove glass crystal from monocoque cases, it has worked perfectly good for me in a variety of cases.

• Like 2

use a crystal wrench - and I don't know if I'd call these a front loader in the tradition style.  Meaning solid case with a split stem. They do have a snap on case back and there is an inner rim to the case that the dial\movement will sit on.  

Edited by JerseyMo

I had lots of trouble getting the crystal off my timex electric. Same deal, it's a front loader, although you can remove the back, just for battery changes. I have a cheap crystal lift, but hand tightening it wasn't sufficient. I resorted to using a work glove on one hand (after tearing up my hands) to hold the lift body, and pipe pliers on the lift handle (top) with some rubber wrapped around the lift to protect the aluminum. Really had to tighten it hard. Was not elegant, but worked.

You could get the stem out from the caseback side, I'm not sure how airtright the case would be to pop the crystal.

At any rate for me was no success with the movement, there was a lot of battery leakage. The 1578 friction spring disintegrated on servicing, and there's no 1165 friction washer, and whether or not those are the only issues, I couldn't get it to reliably run after a cleaning.  Good looking case and dial though.