Hello from Australia

Luke777

Hello to all, I'm Luke.

I live in Far North Queensland Australia and I have just finished level 3 of the Watch Repair Course. I loved it. I have also been reading and learning as much as I can about mechanical timepieces for many years but have no formal training.

I am a registered Paramedic (20 years) but also a qualified machinist.

I have very little experience with watches, just a dabbling here and there. I am fascinated by the craft. I applied many years ago for a Horology apprenticeship but it was filled by the (big) company internally so I missed out and went on to do other things.

I have invested in a fair bit of basic tooling to get me started and have almost finished building a purpose-specific tabletop bench based on photos off the internet. Hopefully it works well.

Thank you so much to everyone here in advance for the sharing of so much knowledge. I am excited to learn.

Kind regards. Luke

IMG-20210305-WA0000.jpeg

8 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hello and welcome to the forum Luke.  Nice looking bench well done. attached a couple of documents for your interest.

Thank you for the links. I'll check them out. Like everyone new to this realm I am bumbling through trying to work out the best tool options to look out for and save for. What type of staking tool (thinking something with micrometer attachment for ?end-shake tweaking) and timing apparatus.... I'll keep reading and learning. Thank you all very much!

8 hours ago, watchweasol said:

A staking tool is not used to adjust endshake, if you are talking about adjusting jewels.

For that you want a jeweling tool.

There are some American staking tools that do have a micrometer adjustment, but your realy want both a staking set and a jeweling set.

For a timing tool ebay is your friend, the Chinese Weishi timergraphers are actually very good for the price although throw away the adapter power plug that comes with it and get someone qualified to fit an Australian plug on it so you don't get electrocuted.

Have a look at the different models on Ebay and choose one that fits your budget.

• Like 1