Screwdriver keeps getting magnetized!

My screwdriver keeps getting magnetized when I try to replace the screw on the capacitor cover plate on my  Seiko kinetic watch. Every time I get the screw in the hole and try to use the screwdriver to drive it in, the magnetized screwdriver pulls the screw from the hole. Is this because the screwdriver is near or touching the capacitor? 

2 hours ago, NicholasG said:

My screwdriver keeps getting magnetized when I try to replace the screw on the capacitor cover plate on my  Seiko kinetic watch. Every time I get the screw in the hole and try to use the screwdriver to drive it in, the magnetized screwdriver pulls the screw from the hole. Is this because the screwdriver is near or touching the capacitor? 

I would like to see a picture of the movement.  But, I can tell you that a discharged capacitor will not create a magnetic field.  A capacitor discharging though a circuit will generate a brief magnetic field (See Ampere's Law).  However, this would be very very brief and you would need your screwdriver to be close during this brief instant.  And, it would be a very weak field unless the capacitor is discharging through a coil.

Is there a coil on this movement?  If the coil is energized, it creates a magnetic field.  But, I doubt anything is energized when you are removing the screw.

4 hours ago, NicholasG said:

Seiko kinetic watch

Because this is a kinetic watch there is two rotors in this watch. The arrow above is not in the correct location. I've snipped out an image from the tech sheets you can see where the generator rotor is. Another solution to your problem would be just use your tweezers to hold the screw in place once it starts to screw in you can take the tweezers away.

Seiko kinetic magnet.JPG

12 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Thus even more opportunity to magnetize a screwdriver!

Definitely more opportunity because usually the stepping motor for the watch is magnetically shielded. But I don't think there's any magnetic shield for the generator rotor and it is considerably bigger than your normal stepping motor rotor. Plus it's spinning around at warp speed there's magnetic fields probably all over the watch and everything is probably magnetized or will be at some point in time.

• Like 1