L&R Cleaning Machines

May I ask, how do you currently clean watch parts? Which advantages do you expect from an old machine, beside the fun spent on many days of refurbishing and parts searching?

I want to be able to clean the parts correctly. I’ve researched cleaning by hand and it’s 100x more time consuming and probably ends up leaving the watch worse for ware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 90 year old watch maker gave me a watch cleaning machine for free!!!! It came with the glasses and lids but not the baskets. I’ll post a pic of the machine in a few weeks, hopefully someone can tell me what kind of baskets I’d need :)

6 minutes ago, Rexxus said:

I want to be able to clean the parts correctly. I’ve researched cleaning by hand and it’s 100x more time consuming and probably ends up leaving the watch worse for ware

It is not so. The machine was invented simply to allow the repairer to do something else while another place was being cleaned. There is nothing done by an old machine can you can't do by hand, including heating and shaking. It is certainly not required for a beginner hobbyst. 

Progress was instead reached with the introduction of ultrasound cleaning, which in fact is the only type of machine produced nowadays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty! I’ve posted some pics of the watch cleaning machine I have. I’m looking to confirm the basket size I’ll need. Let me know if you need any other pics and thanks again x 1M!!!!

68ba3579069a968511679ae033c9ac82.jpg

c8b06f1f1bb592b1d6a49b8324c59d13.jpg82b3185d3b85cbbcb68396ef4a6f9602.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi,

This Varimatic is new to me. Checking it without the jars installed, it appears to be working, but I’m concerned the heights are a bit off compared to the jar heights. 

Has anyone else adjusted one of these and can comment on my videos of it operating? I’ve uploaded a video below. I start by holding the button down to advance to the first jar, and then do the same to advance to the second jar. 

Thanks. 

https://streamable.com/s/t33od/bzwz

Edited by rodabod

Hi, it looks like the machine is out of sync , instructions on how to fix will be on the manual if I recall which is online .

Have done this a few times , involves taking off the cover and changing the arm location to hit switches that lift and drop.

One thing to think about is how did it happen. This can happen if the arm doesn't high enough or got caught, this could mean it needs hydraulic fluid and could mean a leak..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you. I did jam it accidentally by leaving the hydraulic fluid cup inserted (jams the rotating platform). I will look at re-syncing it as you suggest. 

• 4 months later...
On 2/9/2019 at 2:46 PM, jnash said:

I've actually got quite far, have managed to get hydraulics sorted and the synchronisation.

On to the ultrasonics.

Now the ultrasonics light did not come on, the fan kicks in so the switch is working that starts the ultrasonics.

The bulb light up for a few seconds and died.

I have found a replacement and am waiting for it. However the dial control looks to not being doing anything at all.

Does some one have a pic of the underneath with that bit in particular. I want to make sure nothing is missing as I do not see how it would do anything as it looks like a loose switch ( bit at the front)

Thanks in advance

eb0f82f199752a7a048ebafbae250051.jpg71aaed7b1caba153c74299ef6326299c.jpg

Hey man. How did you get the sequence fixed? Mine just spins for a second in the jar then pops right out and next one the same till the cycle is finished. 

Hey man. How did you get the sequence fixed? Mine just spins for a second in the jar then pops right out and next one the same till the cycle is finished. 
Yep, you have to move the arm insode the machine left or right to get it in sync with pressing the buttons that lift and drop the jars. You wil need to unscrew the boot and knock out the metal pin it's attached to.

I don't have the machine to show you but it's doable and easy to achieve.

The first thing I will look at is whether the basket is going up high enough as that usually is a the reason for the jam which knocks it out of sync. If it doesn't then it needs to be topped up with hydraulic fluid.

Good luck

I had one it also had the ultrasonic device as well, used to clean 3 or 4 watches at a time. The best watch cleaning machine I ever had, nothing could touch it for fine results.   About a month ago one on ebay was going for £400 which was a bargain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogersWatchRepair said:

That sounds to me like the timer switch is not running correctly. When out of sequence, it will still spend a reasonable time with the basket in the lower height position. It just affects the synchronisation between the jar position and the basket rising and falling. 

On 5/29/2020 at 4:13 PM, jnash said:

Yep, you have to move the arm insode the machine left or right to get it in sync with pressing the buttons that lift and drop the jars. You wil need to unscrew the boot and knock out the metal pin it's attached to.

I don't have the machine to show you but it's doable and easy to achieve.

The first thing I will look at is whether the basket is going up high enough as that usually is a the reason for the jam which knocks it out of sync. If it doesn't then it needs to be topped up with hydraulic fluid.

Good luck

Thanks man! Haven't had a chance to work on it yet but soon. I appreciate your help. 

• 4 weeks later...

Guys I just received a Master model cleaner and I am going to have to completely rewire the machine. I would like to convert it to a mastermatic be replacing the forward and reverse switch with a time relay circuit. Has anyone done this and if so any guidance would amazing. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
Alrighty! I’ve posted some pics of the watch cleaning machine I have. I’m looking to confirm the basket size I’ll need. Let me know if you need any other pics and thanks again x 1M!!!!

68ba3579069a968511679ae033c9ac82.jpg&key=bcfb502abfef24e42effb2508f7f0e7f93192b91785dc662ab9a1de98492a0dd

c8b06f1f1bb592b1d6a49b8324c59d13.jpg&key=b461dfa869b1bfa1b4a2b97208ae25cecf469947972468b785be332e61b93dec82b3185d3b85cbbcb68396ef4a6f9602.jpg&key=139f51c79e65f054399bd1e47cd0405662a551227db8d619d40c774eab103a41

Did u happen to find large basket for it? I have small and it dsnt do it well. Looking for a larger basket for the same machine

Did u happen to find large basket for it? I have small and it dsnt do it well. Looking for a larger basket for the same machine

I did :) I bought an L&R watch cleaning basket 2.25 diameter with lid and 2 baskets off eBay. Works great :)

I bought an L&R watch cleaning basket 2.25 diameter with lid and 2 baskets off eBay. Works great smile.png&key=dc1fc82fd45ca38edd658bb100589d94611398dde96e12f8605cfc678eeace1e

I got one too but the moment i put in the machine all glue is coming out i really like it but its loosing glue and it has compartments what i like the most. Any clue how i can fix this or ill have to spend again

I bought an L&R watch cleaning basket 2.25 diameter with lid and 2 baskets off eBay. Works great smile.png&key=dc1fc82fd45ca38edd658bb100589d94611398dde96e12f8605cfc678eeace1e

I got one too but the moment i put in the machine all glue is coming out i really like it but its loosing glue and it has compartments what i like the most. Any clue how i can fix this or ill have to spend again

Glue coming out? That seems defective. I’d spend either more on better quality or return for refund

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all;

I am looking for some guidance on an L & R  Varamatic machine.  It seems to be  timed properly but  the basket goes onto the jar and immediately  comes right out and  does spin-off clear at the top of it's cycle rather then stopping in the top of the jar.    It would throw solution all over the place if you used it.     When I got it the  timing screws were  screwd all the way down in an effort to control the time it set in the jars but that didn't seem to work .   Any help or guidance would be gratefully accepted.

• jdm pinned this topic