• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It bugged me that the L&R basket sets at an angle and is unstable.  So...I printed this holder for it.  Gonna make some improvements, but here it is for now.  

You can't, the time is fixed because the indexing motor runs a certain speed and it runs constantly until the basket drops into the next jar. You should concentrate instead on making sure the spi

Sorry, "You can't" might be a little strong.  If you give up on using the electro-mechanical timing and synchronizing system built into the machine out of simple cams and switches, and replace all tha

Posted Images

Today I've been kept busy around the house, but took a couple of minutes to play with my new machine. I was able to remove the part that holds the basket from the motor shaft. I was surprised that after almost 70 years, this was so easy to remove.

23162837326_a4aa67635a_z.jpg

I am contemplating the idea of repairing this, if I cannot source another one. I am thinking about using a two part epoxy to coat the entire part then sanding it smooth. My one concern is how will epoxy react with the cleaning solution. 

I noticed this yesterday. At the botton of the motor housing there is a rod with a hole on the top side. I am guessing this is for oil to keep the motor shaft lubricated right where it comes out of its housing.

22561869203_d8b4557a59_z.jpg

22893135500_1ba77e3d3c_z.jpg

As I continue to handle the machine, the paint continues to come of. It is actually kind of funny.

• 1 month later...

I've been working on a circuit to automate the forward and reverse motor movement of the L&R machine. Last week I noticed that the motor hesitated to turn on lower speeds. After some testing, I determined that the bearings were bad and needed to be replaced. Ordered a set of bearings from Amazon and today I started working on replacing them. I was surprised on how relatively easy they were removed. As I was getting ready to assemble the motor, I took a closer look at the motor casing, especially the upper half. And this is what I found...

24319213122_3c5030c853_c.jpg

I am glad I found this before I went further in reassembling this motor. I will be rewiring the entire machine in the next few days. I am guessing the only reason this motor did not go up in flames is because the bare metal is not touching the clamp.

By time I am done with this machine it will be practically new.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

It looks in good nick. The first jar is where you put the cleaning solution I think you will find the jars are marked with a level so as to not to over fill. The next two is for rinse. The large black nob is for speed, you have forward and reverse switch but I can't see a on switch for the heater. When you have cleaned the parts slow it down loosen it and raise the basket so its out of the fluid but still in the jar and spin it off, then move it to the first rinse, repeat for next rinse, then the heater, make sure the heater is turned on before you need to use it after its been in the heater you will need to spin it to cool it down. The basket will have little sections for wheels and small parts, the plates can go in the large part of the basket, make sure the basket is a good fit and not slack. I used L & R cleaner and rinse but to be fair I'm not sure if there is anything better these days because I retired many years ago. 

• Like 1

Thanks oldhippy I he not received the machine yet , so I am not sure where the heater is turned on. But the seller is including the instructions manual and electrical diagram with the machine also an extra heat lamp just for good measure . he specializes in restoring and refurbishing old L&R machines so I am hopping it will be a good cleaner.

Well I finally got it in, and I have to say that I am very pleased with the machine. it looks brand new and is very smooth, the guy in eBay really did a good job on the refurbishing... and it was very well packed

1eff8dca9135e0c0973076c19ec06a92.jpg

Well done and you get a good finish its much easier then doing it by hand. I think if you look at the jars you will see a level make which you need to fill the jars up to, don't go beyond that  as you might have trouble spinning the residue off and you will lift the basket to high and it will spin out of the jar and go everywhere.

Just to make you jealous I had a L & R auto so all I had to do was attach the basket and press a button and the machine did everything for me I just went back to the machine take the basket back to my bench and put the watch back together, some times I would clean four or five watches at a time, but I stopped all that and went into antique clocks, there was more money in that.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply oldhippy

the jars are not the original, and they have no markings on them, but he did say to add a pint of liquid which is what I did. So far so good, hope to put the machine to good use.

you want to have enough fluid so it comes up to the basket's lid - completely submerging the contents - when the basket is in there spinning.  but not so much that when you're spinning off the basket, you're still in the fluid.  you look like you have just about enough in the video; maybe another 1/4-1/2" or so?  if the vortex spins the fluid out so that the central area sinks too much, if that makes sense?

when you have the level figured out, make a little mark on the jars.  use a grease pencil or paint marker.  cleaning fluid will take the sharpie right off...

• Like 1

On the original jars the words L&R are at about half way up the jar. I was told to fill to half way up the jars which settles in the middle of the letters L&R. See pic.

Also attached a PDF for the L&R Vari-Matic. The instructions for filling etc will be the same.

L&R new 3 (1).jpg

L&R VariMatic & VariMatic III Operator Manual.pdf

Ah yes the good ol Varimatic, I have two of these units, and two ultra sonics, if anyone needs any service of their units, check out this company-http://www.electronicinstrumentservice.com/index.html

I will be sending both ultra sonic units out to be upgraded to solid state in the future, last I checked it was about $600, they also sell the vacuum bulbs for the ultra sonic.

Edited by SteveFitzwater
  • 3 weeks later...
  • jdm pinned this topic