thanks for the input.  The jars and lids are original,each with L&R molded in.  The jars are also molded with threads, however the lids are not threaded - they just sit there.  I've read L&R had thread-on lids but they seem somewhat rare.  It seems like it would have been a good thing the have, I mean who wouldn't want to seal it up when not in use?  (perhaps the L&R wash salesman?)  This model btw is the mastermatic.

I looked around the web for a screw on that might fit, no luck.  Cling wrap might work, but I know it would make me mental having t futz about with it.  I I'm going to try the heavy steel lid, and I have some neoprene rubber that would make a good gaskets.  If successful photo's to follow.

ISt2Uxq.jpg

XI0F07q.jpg

I have just checked my L&R which is a "vari-matic" and the jars & lids are exactly the same as yours. I am sure that there should not be a seal. I have a operating & maintenance manual (SEE LINK BELOW) which has a parts list and there is no mention of seals for the lids.

http://www.electronicinstrumentservice.com/manuals/L&R/L&R VariMatic & VariMatic III Operator Manual.pdf

Easy to make seals on those lids.

A) clean and degrease lid and lip on jar.

B) Buy gasket making gel in tube at car spares shop.

C) fill channel under lid and smooth over with wet finger

D) apply very light layer of vaseline to mating surface of jar

E) Place lid on jar an Lightly push down to make a channel in gasket gel but not enough to to squish it all out.

F) leave overnight to set.

Sent from my Honor 5c

• Like 3

that is a really good idea.....I'm quite far down the 'new lid' path, but if it doesn't work.  I was trying to think something mold-able that would stand up the solvents, few can  gasket stuff that remains flexible might work.

I measured the nitrile rubber I have, durometer 15 which is really soft.  I'm hoping the heavy lid and soft rubber will make a seal,  if not i'll try the gasket goo

I have the same L&R mastermatic and jars.  Only mine came with screw-on lids. I did wonder if they were original or proper since I saw so many for sale with Bakelite lids but they do fit and seal well but don't have L&R printed or stamped anywhere. Those Bakelite lids were probably for convenience and speed and the screw lids for storage.

I would be happy to measure mine and post some pictures if that would be of any help to you. 

Tim

The seals will make little difference if any as they are not under any downward pressure. 

Aren't the lids made of Bakelite?
That material is rather heavy isn't it?
If not, some old fashion scales weights could be placed on top when not in use.

Sent from my Honor 5c

On 8/9/2017 at 8:10 PM, measuretwice said:

thanks for the input.  The jars and lids are original,each with L&R molded in.  The jars are also molded with threads, however the lids are not threaded - they just sit there.  I've read L&R had thread-on lids but they seem somewhat rare.  It seems like it would have been a good thing the have, I mean who wouldn't want to seal it up when not in use?  (perhaps the L&R wash salesman?)  This model btw is the mastermatic.

I looked around the web for a screw on that might fit, no luck.  Cling wrap might work, but I know it would make me mental having t futz about with it.  I I'm going to try the heavy steel lid, and I have some neoprene rubber that would make a good gaskets.  If successful photo's to follow.

I have the same machine and the jars originally had weighted (cast) lids. I didn't like them very much and found a seller on eBay who offered up replacement plastic screw down lids.  They work fine and have kept the solvent and rinse from evaporating.

On 8/14/2017 at 1:30 PM, RyMoeller said:

I have the same machine and the jars originally had weighted (cast) lids.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of those before.  For sure screw on would be ideal, I wanted to avoid ebay though so have tried heavy lids....we'll see if its effective.

On 8/14/2017 at 1:41 PM, ro63rto said:

Wonder if you could find one of these to use its lids?

A toggle style would also be good, the challenge is finding jars the right size and of the right rubber.  Rubber used for food, ie natural rubber, is unlikely to survive petroleum, ie oils/solvents.  Used nitrile rubber which hopefully will work.

Some shots below of the new lids.  I made them from 3/4" plate and made my own gaskets.  Gasket material is a 15 durometer nitrile rubber so its quite soft, but only 1/16" thick.  Someone mentioned force is required, agreed, its gravity in this case.  Whether the weight is enough and rubber soft enough to form a seal remains to be seen.  I think i'll try putting acetone in one and seeing how it does.

Thanks for all the ideas and help

rDPA2zE.jpg

8ZI9CbH.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/24/2016 at 10:28 PM, OmarHaltam said:

e8cc2cf3b67b0ef014b288baa9c3108a.jpg

9f0678d7274fc099a3c5c6db863ee7e3.jpg

5a14698dd2fee9a4c9c673df6ba9b5fb.jpg

nice omar!

just received mine yesterday! ebay auction. how much to refurbish? mine runs but needs some loving!

Well it is on its way, a refurbished L&R Master all rewired new bearings and ready to clean. I hope I get good service out of it for a number of years to come.

Hello all!

I purchased said model of cleaning machine on eBay last week. It was functional but needed some love. So I did a little tinkering, got it to run a bit smoother but alas the wiring and hardware probably original. Now not running...Has anyone here ever or is knowledgeable about wiring (Canada or N. American). It seems straight forward power cord (18-3?) and wiring for motor what to use? Ordered a rheostat original specs were 750ohms 50w 300v. Only found 500ohms 50w. Haven't found any manual or specs for it. I think it was fabricated in '56. Any help would be appreciated...

• 4 weeks later...

So I have acquired a very best up L&R varimatic.

I have only spent a few minutes with it as I've been busy with other bits but of the top of my head the following is not working

Arm does not raise high enough ( understand some replacement fluid and some bleeding will hopefully resolve this)

The ultrasonic himself when it should be working however no light just some noise ( hoping it's the replaceable bulb thingy)

The timings all off, it spins when it's high but then only a few seconds in the jars.

I've found the manual online.

I need to find out what suitable fluid is used for this machine and the best way to bleed it without the cup.

Any other tips will be appreciated , I know.little about electronics bit that won't stop me from having a go.

I'll post some progress when I get a chance to work on it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk