I see you have removed the balance wheel assembly from the balance cock and not the hairspring from the balance wheel, so getting it back running shouldn't be too difficult.

You could save yourself a lot of grief in future by cleaning it fixed to the main plate, then cleaning the balance jewels separately in a small dish with one dip or lighter fuel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qtQhRKPgjY4

• Like 1

Geo,

Yeah I didn't go so far as to take the hairspring off of the wheel.  Given the way I arranged the parts in the basket, do you think the hairspring would be safe attached to the mainplate in the bottom of the basket?  The plates didn't seem to shift around much during cleaning due to my extra basket mod.

It probably would be OK, but you really could do with purchasing another parts holder similar to the one Mark uses in his video. Also get a couple of these mini containers like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300910382890?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They are normally £3.00 or thereabouts, I suspect they are out of stock hence the stupid price.

it is always better to have the cock and balance mounted on the plate during cleaning.

the reason i remove the hairspring is i had one tangle up during cleaning.

but, Geo is right, if you don't have the experience or tools to put it back properly then adjust it so you are, "in Beat" it is best left alone.

todd

It probably would be OK, but you really could do with purchasing another parts holder similar to the one Mark uses in his video. Also get a couple of these mini containers like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300910382890?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Be careful with tiny parts with these -- I've had to fish endstones etc. out of the basket's rims (where the mesh is badly attached to the frame). Very annoying, but they work fine for bigger items. I've been thinking of trying to fill the rim-mesh connection with epoxy.

I bought a Bergeon mini basket for tiny parts. *Much* better construction, but Bergeon pricing.

They are normally £3.00 or thereabouts, I suspect they are out of stock hence the stupid price.

What's up with that guy? I think I recently saw another item from him for 11,000 pounds or something. Can't remember what it was, but it was insanely overpriced.

Cheers!

Rob

Be careful with tiny parts with these -- I've had to fish endstones etc. out of the basket's rims (where the mesh is badly attached to the frame). Very annoying, but they work fine for bigger items. I've been thinking of trying to fill the rim-mesh connection with epoxy.I bought a Bergeon mini basket for tiny parts. *Much* better construction, but Bergeon pricing. 

What's up with that guy? I think I recently saw another item from him for 11,000 pounds or something. Can't remember what it was, but it was insanely overpriced.Cheers!Rob

Welcome to the forum Rob. It would be good to know what you do on the horological front.

Regarding your post:-

That's excellent advice regarding the small components. I clean small springs, cap jewels and the like separately in a small jar with solvent and use my ultrasonic bath to agitate them, it works a treat.

Regarding the inanely overpriced items on EBay. I have seen this a few times, and it is usually when stock has been sold out and the company is waiting for new stock. It saves them having to cancel the listing and create a new one when stock is arrives. it is quicker and easier just to edit the price to a silly level for a week or two then edit it back to the correct level.

Cousins stock the cheap little baskets as well as the dearer branded ones !

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/indian-mini-baskets

Thanks, good to know :)

I have two of the bigger brass ones too, and they are even worse. I had to apply a jeweler's saw to one to retrieve a click that was embedded in the rim. One day I should really see if epoxy will work..

• 4 months later...

My latest acquisition. It seems to be working great. Now I have to order some cleaning a rinsing fluid. However, the star baffles were missing and the gentlemen is going to look for them. He isn't sure where they went. I'm searching on the bay. Any other ideas? Could I fashion some out of something? If so, does anyone have the dimensions?

As always, thank you for your valuable time!

Gary

post-337-0-32808400-1439873187_thumb.jpg

post-337-0-41937900-1439873229_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The star baffles sit in the bottom of each jar and are just folded stainless sheet. You seem to have the vertical pieces which would be more complex to make but the stars should be easy. I can post a picture of mine if it helps.

Cheers, Chris

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

For the last several weeks I've been browsing the auction sites looking for a cleaning machine. This one caught my eye, especially since it has all the glass containers included. I just couldn't resist. So I bought it. It should be here some time next week. The seller claims it is in working condition, but it needs some cosmetic work. I really can't complain since it was less than $100.00 including shipping charges.

This picture is from the seller. I will post some more when I get it.

22579999917_1b2d7ba0fe_b.jpg

As you can see the paint is in really bad shape, but I have several cans of "hammered" finish paint in the garage. I can finally put those cans of paint to good use. Very exited about this.

• Like 2

New wiring is most likely the very first thing I will do to it. Last thing I need is for it to go up in flames.

I've seen several baskets on the 'bay but I am not certain about the size, so I will have to wait until I get it to make sure I order the right one.

• Like 1

New wiring is most likely the very first thing I will do to it. Last thing I need is for it to go up in flames.

I've seen several baskets on the 'bay but I am not certain about the size, so I will have to wait until I get it to make sure I order the right one.

It depends on your budget Rod but this is the guy who re-furbed mine. Not cheap but it is returned as new & will last a life time.

web address:

http://www.delphelectronics.co.uk/products.html

email:

[email protected]

It depends on your budget Rod but this is the guy who re-furbed mine. Not cheap but it is returned as new & will last a life time.

web address:

http://www.delphelectronics.co.uk/products.html

email:

[email protected]

Thank you for the information. I just ordered a few baskets from a seller in the US. Hopefully they will fit. Based on some research, this could be one of the earliest models of these machines.