8 hours ago, Plato said:

No way I'd reuse that part, it's already been mucked about with, replace it with a new pot. I bet the knob is a standard size used today.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/passive-components/variable-resistors/potentiometers/?searchTerm=potentiometer

that was my first thought.  "This has been messed with" but it's old and this is my first machine, I thought it could have just been a bit crude.                                                                                                                                                      I kind of want to replace it too.  Problem is like with your link you sent me, I don't know what replacement part I actually need.  I talked to Dave at Dave's Watch Parts and said he used to buy them at www.surplussales.com, but I still don't know exactly what to get.  115 volt at 75 cycles and I think it's 60 Ohm.

Edited by SonnyBurnett

23 minutes ago, SonnyBurnett said:

that was my first thought.  "This has been messed with" but it's old and this is my first machine, I thought it could have just been a bit crude.                                                                                                                                                      I kind of want to replace it too.  Problem is like with your link you sent me, I don't know what replacement part I actually need.  I talked to Dave at Dave's Watch Parts and said he used to buy them at www.surplussales.com, but I still don't know exactly what to get.  115 volt at 75 cycles and I think it's 60 Ohm.

I don't suppose you can find a circuit diagram? I sent the wrong link too, this is the correct link:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/passive-components/variable-resistors/rheostats/

There must be something equivalent to what you need. But, like others have said, it might look/work a lot better when cleaned. 

9 hours ago, SonnyBurnett said:

Dave contacted me and said this one might work.  Anyone got any thoughts?  Its on the very bottom of the page.

(RWA) A-29418-5

https://www.surplussales.com//Potentiometers/Rheostats/PotsRheost-3.html.

Do you mean the (RWA) RP151SD750KK? I can't find (RWA) A-29418-5.

75ohm would be near enough to 60ohm for a rheostat provided it can cope with the current/power.

14 hours ago, Plato said:

Do you mean the (RWA) RP151SD750KK? I can't find (RWA) A-29418-5.

75ohm would be near enough to 60ohm for a rheostat provided it can cope with the current/power.

At the very bottom of the page in the link on the right side.  The last one.  On my screen it shows up as (RWA) A-29418-5

Rheostat, 800 ohm, 50 watt, 0.25 amp. Type R-50. 2-1/4" diameter body, 1-3/8" behind panel depth. 1/4" diameter x 1/2" long round shaft. Made by Memcor. NSN: 5905-01-013-4370.

Dave said this one is close enough it should work.  One thing I noticed is the wattage.  it's 50 watt and the machines are rated at 60.  Also the amperage, seems low.  Can't remember what the machine runs at.

Edited by SonnyBurnett

10 hours ago, SonnyBurnett said:

At the very bottom of the page in the link on the right side.  The last one.  On my screen it shows up as (RWA) A-29418-5

Rheostat, 800 ohm, 50 watt, 0.25 amp. Type R-50. 2-1/4" diameter body, 1-3/8" behind panel depth. 1/4" diameter x 1/2" long round shaft. Made by Memcor. NSN: 5905-01-013-4370.

Dave said this one is close enough it should work.  One thing I noticed is the wattage.  it's 50 watt and the machines are rated at 60.  Also the amperage, seems low.  Can't remember what the machine runs at.

Is this is the circuit diagram to your machine?

What motor does it use? We could figure out the current.

L&R Master 2 Wiring Diagrams.jpg

15 minutes ago, Plato said:

One thing I read about earlier was that some of these old rheostats might use asbestos as insulators, another reason to replace it. 

Why. That would be another case of unjustified fears of a danger that scientifically doesn't exist when exposure to the harmful substance non-existent, as when asbestos is firs and solid, and in a minuscole amount. One needs years of continuous exposition to fibers to get in danger of developing lung cancer.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Why. That would be another case of unjustified fears of a danger that scientifically doesn't exist when exposure to the harmful substance non-existent, as when asbestos is firs and solid, and in a minuscole amount. One needs years of continuous exposition to fibers to get in danger of developing lung cancer.

@jdm what part of the world do you live in that you don't consider asbestos a risk?! 

Even a PhD won't be able to tell the correct value for the rheostat with the limited information given. 

The value would depend on the internal resistance of the motor used in the machine. I'm sure the motor must have changed over the decades of production.

But 50 ohms does seem a little low.

7 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Your hand drawn schematic is wrong at least in one place.  Furthermore, I measure the rheostat on my cleaning machine and it measures closer to 800 ohms.  And, yes, I do have a Ph.D. in electrical engineering.

It's not my diagram, I found it on the nawcc website. 

6 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Even a PhD won't be able to tell the correct value for the rheostat with the limited information given. 

The value would depend on the internal resistance of the motor used in the machine. I'm sure the motor must have changed over the decades of production.

But 50 ohms does seem a little low.

I did ask about the motor. 

11 hours ago, Plato said:

@jdm what part of the world do you live in that you don't consider asbestos a risk?! 

In one where science is taught. I never said asbestos is not risky, but that it is in certain quantities and modes.
Fearing otherwise is unwarranted paranoia. Quote fron the first article I rant into:

A one-off exposure from do-it-yourself renovation is not a major risk
https://www.asbestos.com/exposure/short-term/

There is a major difference between asbestos in tons, or fractions of, and the scarce gram which could a sigle electronic insulator. Beside, isn't even proven than what is being discusses is indeed made of that.

6 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Maybe a PhD doesn't, but people of practical experience do. As mentioned, 50 or 60 Ohm is little for any "power application".