I have an L&R Master cleaning machine. I had emptied the jars and cleaned them when my daughter comes in to bring me for dinner. In the ensuing chase (she's 4 and likes to play with everything, more so when I tell her not to) one of the jars hits the floor. Arrrgh. Anyway, after doing some research, I found an interesting post on NAWCC that quart mason jars work well as a replacement. The post was from 2009, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm or dispute this. Trying to get an original online is going to take a while and I have a customer's pocketwatch (1950 Elgin) that I'm not going to put in the ultrasonic. Any input would be helpful.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can't, the time is fixed because the indexing motor runs a certain speed and it runs constantly until the basket drops into the next jar. You should concentrate instead on making sure the spi

Sorry, "You can't" might be a little strong.  If you give up on using the electro-mechanical timing and synchronizing system built into the machine out of simple cams and switches, and replace all tha

My rinse's jug just says L&R Ultrasonic Watch Rinsing Solution.  An older one waiting for disposal does say #3 though, I don't know what the difference is.  I use the ammoniated #111 cleaner.

Posted Images

Why won't you use the ultrasonic meantime? I've been using one for the last three to four years without any problem, just don't put dial and hands in it. There are a lot of others on here using ultrasonics too.

Why won't you use the ultrasonic meantime? I've been using one for the last three to four years without any problem, just don't put dial and hands in it. There are a lot of others on here using ultrasonics too.

Normally I would. I've used ultrasonics often enough and generally like the results, but this Elgin has some gilding on the movement that my ultrasonic would peel off like a grape.

Normally I would. I've used ultrasonics often enough and generally like the results, but this Elgin has some gilding on the movement that my ultrasonic would peel off like a grape.

Good point sir!

Edited by Geo

So, just as a general update, I thought I'd share. The wife sent me to the market for a few items (I've a 6 month old that eats more than football players do), and while I was there I spied some quart mason jars on sale (4 for $3), and figured that I'd give it a shot. Got the jars, brought them home, and they fit like they were made for the machine. The basket carrier was lowered and all looked well except the nibs that hold the large basket kept catching the inside of the jar's lip. A couple laps with a 2nd cut file on each nib and there was now plenty of clearance. The only real problem left was the bottoms of the mason jars aren't flat like the L & R jars. Solved this by taking 2 pieces of 1/8" cork board and cutting them round to fit in the jar housing. Then I measured the bottom of the jar and cut out the center of one of the boards to form a ring, applied apoxy and stuck it to the second board. Lowered them in the housing, put the jar in place and it's as stable as the original was. Just finished a test and it works beautifully. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can figure out how to do it from my iPad.

So, just as a general update, I thought I'd share. The wife sent me to the market for a few items (I've a 6 month old that eats more than football players do), and while I was there I spied some quart mason jars on sale (4 for $3), and figured that I'd give it a shot. Got the jars, brought them home, and they fit like they were made for the machine. The basket carrier was lowered and all looked well except the nibs that hold the large basket kept catching the inside of the jar's lip. A couple laps with a 2nd cut file on each nib and there was now plenty of clearance. The only real problem left was the bottoms of the mason jars aren't flat like the L & R jars. Solved this by taking 2 pieces of 1/8" cork board and cutting them round to fit in the jar housing. Then I measured the bottom of the jar and cut out the center of one of the boards to form a ring, applied apoxy and stuck it to the second board. Lowered them in the housing, put the jar in place and it's as stable as the original was. Just finished a test and it works beautifully. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can figure out how to do it from my iPad.

yep told you !  you can find ones that fit in supermarkets etc...  without the price tag! just have to be lucky and look 

Glad it worked out, 

Okay, lets see if I can get these pics on here correctly.

1st, I measured the opening for the jar housing. It came out to 4in (101.6mm), however the housing sloped inward, so I had to measure and cut the cork at 3 7/8in (98.42mm). Then I tested the clearance of the mouth of the jar and lapped .5mm of each of the nibs, reattached the part to the machine making sure it easily fits in and tested with the large basket attached.And voila, it works as well as the original. And with the screw-on lid, no escaping fumes when not in use.

post-668-0-39877900-1423443945_thumb.jpg

post-668-0-76390600-1423444144_thumb.jpg

post-668-0-04665900-1423444215_thumb.jpg

post-668-0-26944100-1423444269_thumb.jpg

post-668-0-50753300-1423444371_thumb.jpg

post-668-0-50885400-1423444466_thumb.jpg

post-668-0-19589000-1423444509_thumb.jpg

post-668-0-21520300-1423444613_thumb.jpg

You mean these?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00B80TJIU/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/280-4146357-2786120

Those are the jars (though I got the green ones), but at that price, maybe I should start selling these on ebay instead of using them, lol.

Fantastic fix Irishcain, I had heard about using those jars but could never figure out how they fitted. I thought they were completely interchangeable -- as per other people's talk -- and now I see! Good to know for when I get my own machine.

Cheers,

Bob

I thought there might be too much room as well, but the bottom of the jar is quite snug in the housing and when I ran a test, there was almost no movement. I did make a couple of shims (my jars are square so I thought it prudent-you can see them in one of the pics), but the turned out to be unnecessary. They could still be used I guess, but it'd be a belt and suspenders situation.

• 9 months later...

For the last several weeks I've been browsing the auction sites looking for a cleaning machine. This one caught my eye, especially since it has all the glass containers included. I just couldn't resist. So I bought it. It should be here some time next week. The seller claims it is in working condition, but it needs some cosmetic work. I really can't complain since it was less than $100.00 including shipping charges.

This picture is from the seller. I will post some more when I get it.

22579999917_1b2d7ba0fe_b.jpg

As you can see the paint is in really bad shape, but I have several cans of "hammered" finish paint in the garage. I can finally put those cans of paint to good use. Very exited about this.

• Like 2

New wiring is most likely the very first thing I will do to it. Last thing I need is for it to go up in flames.

I've seen several baskets on the 'bay but I am not certain about the size, so I will have to wait until I get it to make sure I order the right one.

• Like 1

New wiring is most likely the very first thing I will do to it. Last thing I need is for it to go up in flames.

I've seen several baskets on the 'bay but I am not certain about the size, so I will have to wait until I get it to make sure I order the right one.

It depends on your budget Rod but this is the guy who re-furbed mine. Not cheap but it is returned as new & will last a life time.

web address:

http://www.delphelectronics.co.uk/products.html

email:

[email protected]

It depends on your budget Rod but this is the guy who re-furbed mine. Not cheap but it is returned as new & will last a life time.

web address:

http://www.delphelectronics.co.uk/products.html

email:

[email protected]

Thank you for the information. I just ordered a few baskets from a seller in the US. Hopefully they will fit. Based on some research, this could be one of the earliest models of these machines.